Tinkering with the unknown

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Tinkering with the unknown

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:40 pm

Does anyone know how this thing works exactly? It should arrive shortly and I thought I could make a small howler tube out of it if it is catalyst coated. Or perhaps I could make some kind of "pre-combustion" preheating reactor for a pulsating combustion device/pulsejet.
What if I have just bought some simple screen? If anyone sees something interesting for sale, something unique and can't afford it or are not inclined to buy it, it might be worthwhile to post it anyway. Someone might find a clever way to use it.
Mark
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... otohosting
Presentation is Everything

Al Belli
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Tinkering with the unknown

Post by Al Belli » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:47 am

Hi Mark,

This item consisted of stainless screening which was supposed to increase horsepower and improve fuel economy !!
The item increased turbulance and actually improved atomization of the fuel droplets. I believe that an air bleed hole or holes admitted some additional air, which may have increased fuel economy slightly.

All in all, I think that the item is " snake oil " based , and the claims are not valid.

Al Belli

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:46 am

Sounds like I have struck out. Ah well, it didn't cost too much but I should have done more homework. Maybe I can use it for something.
I remember long ago I put a fine mesh screen in the throat of my tiny 12 inch long valved pulsejet in an attempt to break up the droplets of alcohol that were aspirated into throat.
Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:55 am

Tonight when I got home the package arrived. Here's the info sheet it came with from the 70's from our friend Whitney out of Chicago; perhaps some of you have heard of J.C. Whitney. I am dead tired after work. I really can't figure out how it works still, however some sort of voltage must run through it either to preheat and start the catalyst or to preheat and only preheat the common base metal cone shaped screens. There is a cone within a cone if you hold the 2 filters/screens up to the light. There are two metal tabs/contacts where current most probably is introduced. The double, double cone screens have an interesting sheen to them, kind of a gold/yellow hue/tint to them.
Catalyst treated metal isn't that hard to come by though, there are several heaters on the market that surface coat a fine/inexpensive layer of catalysts onto a base metal. That's all you need anyway, that's where the reaction will take place, upon the surface. The ones I have seen run on propane or white gas and are for the outdoorsman or frigid.
Mark
Attachments
050225182324.jpg
(578.26 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Last edited by Mark on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:12 am

A meager scan.
Mark
Attachments
050225190555.jpg
(289.72 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
050225190358.jpg
(212.59 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by larry cottrill » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:34 am

Mark -

Quite a set of instructions. Man, that thing wasn't designed as a 'sometime in the parking lot when I have 15 minutes left on my lunch break' kind of project, was it?

Yes, knowing something about how that was supposed to work - and if it really did what was claimed - would really be fun, wouldn't it? Maybe useful, too.

L Cottrill

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:18 am

A big zero, live and learn. I am starting to feel like Edison and his filament experiments. The entire thing is in the garbage now. But then I am familiar with failure.
Mark