Valves from the Corner Drugstore?

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Valves from the Corner Drugstore?

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:22 pm

How about a Argus-style valve array using pairs of double-edge razor blades? You would clamp one edge under the retainer, while the other edge swings open and closed, i.e. they would bend basically at the mid-point of the two ends. These would have the advantages of coming ready-made in precise, uniform size and dimensions, plus unbelievable price and availability.

What do you think? Too stiff for their size? Too quick to fatigue failure? Or something worth playing around with?

I can't imagine that the blue steel ones are around any more, but the stainless ones surely must still be readily available just about everywhere.

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Re: Valves from the Corner Drugstore?

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:17 pm

I think too stiff.
Mike

mk

Re: Valves from the Corner Drugstore?

Post by mk » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:30 am

I think they are too thin for bigger engines. Everything depends on how to fix them, along their llength or along their wide? In the middle or along the edge?

Another problem with razorblades: The holes in the middle actually do "steal" you a lot of useful area. I already built razorblade valve assemblies, V and petal style, without success (-- anyone wants pictures?).
Also they're tending to curl away in some/different directions when being tightened and the retainer and the resting survace aren't exactly parallel one or both are containing small bumps or s.th. Only edge clamping might prevent this curling effect, but, however, the holes are the main problem indeed.
mk