Today's tidbits

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

re: Today's tidbits

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:30 pm

That's a good find. Ought to be fun to toy with.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Yes, that's nice. First, find out if it will run as is with a 'jam jar' style fuel pool at the bottom. You never know - it might run. But, it ought to make a neat little quasi-FWE / thermojet if the long spout was cut back some and a tailpipe added on to lengthen it.

Some of the niftiest things can be found in the kitchen & dinnerware sections of the mass-market stores. Of course, you have no idea what they're made of - just 'stainless'. But, I'll bet you could weld it with some type 308 welding rod or wire, since that seems to be compatible with several different SS types. [OOPS - I just saw it: 18/8 labelled right on it! Most of the time, though, you don't find much identification of the material - maybe that's changing.]

L Cottrill

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:30 pm

Looks like the carousel has started.
Mark

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:10 pm

Hang on, Mark! Let us know when it's over.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:30 pm

I've got my ear muffs. Friends of mine lost their roof in Homestead with hurricane Andrew. They ended up praying in a closet. It was so loud they couldn't hear each other talk for hours on end.
145 mph winds and the eye is nearing Pensacola. Lights are flickering on and off now.
Got to run. ha
Mark

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:44 pm

Mark
I have been watching the storm on the Weather Channel.
Keep your head down buddy and let us know when it's over.
Dave

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:40 pm

Well it's about all over, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. My brother however experienced the eye. He said his ears were popping and he asked his girlfriend if her's were too and she concurred. The pressure dropped and it was funny because he was excited to step outdoors and see sunlight. Then he said he had to go, the storm was starting up again, some trees down and shingles missing. Minute by minute reporting, ah the joys of a phone.
Funny he sounded grim when the news was reporting 135 mph and about to hit him dead on, he's not too far from the Gulf. Thankfully it dropped to 120 mph. You just never know what Mother Nature is up to.
I wish I had a safe house, a small cubicle made of I-beams and such. Then I would never have to worry.
Mark

RG Rhodes

Post by RG Rhodes » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:13 pm

Howdy, guys-

Say, did you know that LOX is magnetic?(!)
Visit www.chem.uiuc.edu. There is a short video showing the LOX being
trapped and held between the poles of a strong permanent magnet
and evaporating. Give anybody any ideas? Maybe a pump, or
something.

RG

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:09 pm

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:26 pm

Old book, maybe a tidbit in it somewhere.
Mark
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 07532&rd=1

Mark

Re: re: Today's tidbits

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:15 am

RG Rhodes wrote:Howdy, guys-

Say, did you know that LOX is magnetic?(!)
Visit www.chem.uiuc.edu. There is a short video showing the LOX being
trapped and held between the poles of a strong permanent magnet
and evaporating. Give anybody any ideas? Maybe a pump, or
something.

RG
I have a graphite crucible I bought, it's the upside down object on the right. I've gotten it to jam jar for a bit by making a crude lid for it. Anyway if I place it on pencil so it leans a bit, I can pull it and tip it over using my 2 inch diameter powerful cylindrical neodymium magnet without touching it. I just wonder what is in the crucible that is magnetic. At first I thought it was my imagination when I waved it next to it I felt a tuge. Graphite is suppose to be repelled and diamagnetic. So what is going on I wonder.
Mark
Attachments
050122132704.jpg
050122132704.jpg (251.3 KiB) Viewed 9069 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:35 am

Greg O'Bryant

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:01 am

What is the caliber of that case I couldn't quite make it out? Most things are magnetic if you have a strong enough magnet. All you need is an unpaired electron. Did you guys ever see the Russian scientist that was levitating spiders inside a giant ring magnet? pretty cool if the magnet was big enough you could get inside it as well.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:02 pm

Here's some ideas on diamagnetic levitation. The thing though with my graphite crucible, it is PULLED toward my neodymium magnet, I can't figure out what that could be.
http://www.matchrockets.com/ether/newmaglev.html
Those green shells are 30mm you asked about; I found them at the scrap yard, metal recylcing places could make you cry though. I saw so many neat metal objects I'd love to have tried. I hammered the firing pin out of the shell and plugged the open end with a rubber stopper and it ran fine as a jam jar using methanol.
Mark
PS The object in the far left of my previous post mounted to an aluminum disk is a syringe body which is just about my favorite jam jar, a taller version ran for over six minutes when cooled in a water bath one cool winter day.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:02 am

I was thinking maybe it had some clay in it, and the clay containing some iron, I don't know but it is curious to see it pulled toward the magnet and fall over toward it when I bring the magnet near. Like I said, at first I thought I might be imaging things but then when I made the crucible unstable a bit by angling it with a tilt, I found it was pulled toward the magnet and fell/toppled in the direction of the magnet. If I had a scale I am sure I could measure the difference perhaps of an ounce or two.
Mark