Resistorless spark plugs

Moderator: Mike Everman

GRADO
Antipspambot question: 0

Resistorless spark plugs

Post by GRADO » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:30 pm

Just a quick note for anyone using conventional auto spark plugs in the pulse jets;

Most auto spark plugs have a built in carbon resistor/supressor (10-20,000ohms) This can really affect the heat of your sparks and, While you can buy resistorless plugs there not common.

You can unscrew the metal cap from the ceramic on Champion plugs and remove the carbon piece, (you may need to crush it by tapping a nail in the end) Leave the small spring at the bottom and just fill the plug with a piece of wire, Screw the cap back on. You now have a resistorless plug.

If you're using Piezio push button type ignitors this can make a big difference to the size of your sparks.

Mark

Re: Resistorless spark plugs

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:28 pm

Do you have any picture of your plugs. I have some Champions but I can't take them apart or even unscrew the little top piece like some have. I toyed with my graphite crucible and spark plugs, it conducts electricity fairly well, it's about 6 inches tall. A spark would zzzzzzzz from an electrode over to it and then down the length of the crucible to a spark plug which ran fine. I hope to make a jam jar out of the cylindrical graphite crucible.
I want to get some of the Champions that come apart like you mentioned because I often use a piezo sparker and I would like to get the most zap for my click.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

GRADO
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by GRADO » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:32 pm

Here's a pic and part no. The short metal bar replaces the carbon bit.

I thought it was a pretty average plug but I might be wrong.

Also if you're going to buy new plugs see if you can get resistorless, I think there used in cars with nitrous oxide.
Attachments
sparkplug.jpg
Champion RC8PYP
(59.84 KiB) Downloaded 343 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:23 am

I would like to add that a stainless steel spark plug is nice to own too if you are working with methanol which absorbs water and eats the $^@( out of your plug if you don't oil it or take it out and dry it off after each usage.
Mark
Presentation is Everything