Odds and ends

Moderator: Mike Everman

Re: Odds and ends

Postby tufty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Go on, order a blown glass lockwood or escopette. You know you want to.

tufty

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 pm

A Lockwood or Escopette would be a more difficult build making sure the sections don't have deleterious narrowing or irregularities where the sections connect. Often tubing gets mashed or narrowed when joined to another part. Not always but sometimes. And the cost would probably be more than what you might expect. But yea, I was entertaining the thought of a small pulse jet. I don't like using pressurized fuel though, just want to keep it simple.

I liked this 500 ml bottle but look how much with shipping once you start sizing up. Fused quartz isn't cheap. Funny though, the one company said they'd be happy to make me a hundred of the mini-jam jar jets with the 5 mm hole (or just jar things to them) for 10 dollars a piece. Not too bad really for something out of the ordinary or if you fixed it up to do something nifty or crafty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quartz-Reagent- ... 0005.m1851
Presentation is Everything
Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 am

Who would have guessed? You can enlarge the image twice. Looks like a good running shape, imagine a parliament of jam jar jet owls.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Owl-Colors-S ... 3=&veh=sem
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 12668.html
Mark

Postby tufty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 pm

What a hoot!

I'll get my coat
tufty

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm

★★★★ 1 out of 5 stars. · 10 months ago
Very missleading information in description.
very cute jars. was so excited to get for my friend who collects owls. found out that the COLORS WASH OFF!!! does not lead one to understand that in description of product at all. someone else got these and said all colors washed off! makes these unusable if you plan to reuse over and over for things. So. color is very temporary. product is not what is says it is. too bad because they would be beautiful in colors!! why make them with color if they will not be after washing? not getting permanently colored products, which is what I and many others fell in love with and got them for to begin with. very disappointed! Also embarrassing to have given as a gift. defective!!! not good!!!!

Another review
"I bought thesee bottles to put bath salts in as gifts. They are so pretty and colorful I decided to display a few of them with fresh flowers. After a couple of days I refilled the flower water and noticed that the paint on the purple jar is coming off. I hope that does not happen to the other jars. Dissapointing."

"12 Pc set means 6 jars, with 6 lids. Not 12 jars. :)"

"The jars are cute but the description of 12 pieces is misleading. It is only 6 jars and then they are counting the 6 lids as a total of 12 items. When you buy mason jars the lids are included not considered extra. The lids are cute with the plaid print."

"These are really cute, but the colors are painted on. I will for sure be hand washing these, but something tells me that the colors won't last long. If you know that going in, then they are a nice little gift."

For those that like the colors. For me, I like clear anyway.
Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:10 pm

tufty wrote:What a hoot!

I'll get my coat

There are hollow trees that catch fire in the forest and they sometimes make a hooting sound and thus firefighters refer to them as hooters I have heard. Maybe a jam jar could be designed to make a hooting sound. There's that quiet "whooooo" tone jam jars sometimes make when the flame sits at the top of the hole in the jar when the fuel/air ratio is off, sort of a feedback or Helmholtz resonance.
"A Helmholtz resonator or Helmholtz oscillator is a container of gas (usually air) with an open hole (or neck or port). A volume of air in and near the open hole vibrates because of the 'springiness' of the air inside."
Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 pm

Still too hot to really toy with stuff. But the other day I revved up a barking beer bottle snorkeler and it's amazing how cooler weather brings these marginal running jets to life. The sound energy makes a slight echo off the other houses although I've yet to get them to sustain for any length of time. I've not bothered to try to start my quartz jam jar yet but I do dwell on what I might attach it to, like a toy boat or car of some sort. Making a low friction toy car that's clever in design seems
a challenge.
Attachments
DSC_0007 (1).JPG
Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Jam jar jets now available on eBay. ha
Looks like they raised the price 5 dollars from what I paid and made 3 extra. I haven't even tested mine yet so caveat emptor, not that there would be a groundswell or surge on the market at this point.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/fused-quartz-t ... Sw6VRZ7Y4Y

This company
http://www.ykquartz.com/Hva_En/index.asp
Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:31 pm

So a few things that came to mind in this first run of the quartz jar. In a previous test with a thick aluminum cap on a roughly similar size quartz jar it ran for a little over a minute. Perhaps the the very thick aluminum cap wicked away more of the heat than this jar and the aluminum capped jar was run in cooler weather on December 14th. And the added thickness of the lid made the .25 inch/6.35 mm diameter hole somewhat of a snorkelette.
Aluminum cap and clip of it running
download/file.php?id=15272&mode=view
download/file.php?id=15268&mode=view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUgGpxZ-4uY

So here the new jet is running on the back porch and it's kind of windy out as the curtain over the screen can be seen to flutter. I will say the jar was quite hot on the upper half and took some time to cool down. A water bath or fuel feed system or both would probably buy more time. The hole is 7 mm on this one. I wonder how much the ever changing fuel pool surface at the bottom contributes to unstable combustion or rather how much steadier would it run if fueled otherwise having a non-dampening stiff bottom surface to reflect off of?
Jam Jar Jet Made of Quartz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXvWrFbl0c
Attachments
DSC_0010 (1).JPG
Mark

Previous

Return to Tools and Construction