Odds and ends

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Re: Odds and ends

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:10 am

I stopped in at a thrift shop today and some man in front of me was buying a real ostrich egg that had a decoration painted on it and a 3/4 inch hole in the bottom. It made me think of the time I asked myself will it jam with a brown paper mache ostrich egg bought at a craft store that I had drilled a 5/8 inch hole or something in the pointy end. Instead of jamming with some methanol, the egg exploded and stung my fingers. It did not jam.
So I bought a salt and pepper shaker for $1.49 for an addition to my rapid prototyping kit. ha
Also that sugar shaker jar with the cone top to the left of the salt and pepper shaker runs fine (jams) without any alteration needed. It too was a thrift buy. The other photo the Radnoti and a piece of quartz snorkel, it might rev up.
Cute shape
https://www.houzz.com/photos/41620045/C ... d-creamers
Attachments
DSC_0006 (4).JPG
DSC_0002 (9).JPG
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:14 am

So the burning question of how thick are the walls of a 9 ounce paintball tank has now been answered. It's 0.115th. The CO2 tanks have an average of 850 psi. The long narrow tanks wouldn't run for me so I cut one. And I can reassemble something out of the new shorter length me thinks, something more proportional. Also among the parts is a baseball bat with the handle cut off and the plastic cap at the top of the bat pried off. With some sanding, it's funny how beautiful aluminum becomes, even an old shower curtain rod cut in lengths for snorkels shines up like chrome, looking like a million bucks, yet only worth a few pennies.
Attachments
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0014 (1).JPG
DSC_0003 (8).JPG
DSC_0001 (6).JPG
Last edited by Mark on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 am

In other news, there's this little carrot car purchased for almost nothing that I thought might be fun to be towed behind or propelled by some snorkeler of some sort, maybe the skateboard I found along with my swimming pool snorkeler for the engine. I need to fix the rabbit up a little, make him more dapper. I tried to wash him and part of his eye and comical but intelligent look was lost, and I'd like to get it back. Just a misfit toy that might come back to life.
Attachments
DSC_0005 (8).JPG
DSC_0001 (5).JPG

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:05 pm

"The intelligent look". Bwa ha ha
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Some failures to report. I tried drilling the one quartz crucible lid I had on my little lathe ever so softly with one of those dremel plug cutting bits with sparkly diamonds and at the very last I heard the faintest tick. So there was a tiny hairline crack near the hole. But the crack made me recall something because it was starting to happen to the lid. Apparently glass sometimes likes to keep going if a small crack is present. So I put the lid aside and watched it grow into two cracks on opposite sides of the hole several hours later. It wasn't a tight fitting crucible lid and I would have had to gasket it somehow anyway but it was clear quartz and could have taken the heat. If I had a hot enough oven I could fuse it back into shape maybe.

And another quartz part, one that just arrived in the mail, a pulse jet looking shape that unfortunately isn't what I wanted but I couldn't see that in the photos on eBay. It's not a straight shot transition but rather a tiny hole. You pay your nickel and take your chances. But undaunted, I could hold it by the stem and put a top on it and run it as a jam jar lollipop and constantly refuel it because of the small hole in the exhaust pipe/combustion chamber transition area, maybe even introduce gaseous fuel or sneak in a colorant after it runs for a short time or do a few different colors as it burns up the fuel - syringe in more through that flat small hole partition. And maybe I'll think of other things too.
Anyway I was going to add a quartz extension tube to the exhaust and hopefully make a pulse jet out of it. The item is called a Carbon Sulphur Analysis Glass Jet Combustion Tube. Defeated by a little flat disk of glass with a hole in it.
Attachments
DSC_0004 (10).JPG
DSC_0010 (2).JPG
DSC_0013 (1).JPG

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:54 pm

It looked so promising!

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

I could always fall back on the jet stick, I've plenty of straight quartz tubing. It's just making a reed valve and spark plug placement (details). It just seems like drudgery making the valve and working out the different coefficients of thermal expansion rates of quartz and some metal. I want to think of an easy route to the "Land of the Schmidt Tube".
I had a metal pipe run for about 3 seconds before fading, the fueling and valve not idealized. The only way I could get it to start was to cork the end and bang start it like a cannon. Just lighting the tail never gave enough starting impulse. That's what I think about some snorkeler designs, if I bang started them shapes that wouldn't ordinarily run would run - the analogy of some high explosives which merely burn unless you really shock them with a lot of energy from a blasting cap.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Well, you could obviate the thermal mismatches by using lap butt joints between metal plates and ends of tubes. "(details)"

You are a crucible, a plate and two quartz tubes from a thermo-jet style. I can figure starting dims for you, based on crucible size. If you have one that hovers around 2:1, L:ID, we can probably hit it in one.

Then we will shoot it a a million frame per second, with copper sulfate in the fuel for color(?)

tufty

Post by tufty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:46 pm

You'll want something that tints the flame orange, to go with the carrot car it will be towing.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Funny comment Simon. Yes, a high speed camera would be helpful. Awhile back I did some green flame barking with boric acid powder dissolved in methanol. And the other night I tried some but maybe it was too concentrated of a solution because it seemed to slow the bark and after the bark there was a lot of annoying misty smoke and residue in the test tube. I was trying to get as much color as possible. Table salt makes a fairly good yellow color. Copper salts are good and as pulsethug pointed out, lithium chloride makes a pretty shade of red that I liked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDM9gwQskU#t=49s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrN9oYzmqws

Scant results for the most part. If you freeze it somewhere along the 7 second mark, there's one frame where it looks like the entire length of the tube has fire and a much wider adjoining blue fire exhaust trail hooked to it about as long. I wonder how much of the sound is attributable to the air refilling the partial vacuum?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAnibV8K-7U

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:23 pm

"And even though I can't here it, I'm still going to use hearing protection."
Ultrasonic Levitation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpNbyfxxkWE

Another "Will It Jam?" crazy idea.
I wonder if you put some drops of alcohol in the levitator and lit them on fire if they would burn in unusual ways as the air currents affected them - would they burn briskly or flameout I wonder? If they survived you could make different colored flaming drops. If you could put an acoustic shell around them somehow emulating a bottle using a larger device, you could maybe create pulsating combustion, a long shot of great complexity to be sure, but the thought crossed my mind, using air to form a walled cylinder. The pulses of air could even pump the reaction or build feedback.
This small jam jar seems quite large compared to what an acoustic bottle might offer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLw5AXBeAVs#t=19s
Figure 1: Schematic illustration of an acoustic bottle beam.
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms5316

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:03 pm

I did this a few minutes ago and the results were lackluster in the heat and humidity. The right bottle whooshed and the left bottle popped and threw the wire out. But in cool dry air the right bottle really whooshes and the left bottle sounds like a frighteningly loud gunshot, enough so that if the bottle were to rupture it would propel broken glass at a great speed.
Attachments
DSC_0001 (9).JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm wondering if there is any sweet spot on a baseball bat to make a cut where the bat would bark if primed with methanol, that is the possibility of a barking bat dog? I'm kind of thinking no.
Attachments
DSC_0007 (6).JPG
DSC_0005 (9).JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:07 am

Several months ago I bought this oxygen tank for one dollar at a Habitat for Humanity store but it was too long to run as a decent snorkeler so tonight it was put on a horizontal gravity-fed bandsaw and after a few minutes the cut was complete. I almost missed it because I let the saw run and went inside to watch the hurricane news for a brief moment. So I cradled the piece that was hanging as the cut was about complete. The inside diameter is about 4 inches. I plan on tapping and threading a 3/4 inch pipe thread from the less than 1/2 inch pipe thread of some sort that it came with. It looks like a wide thread until you unscrew the valve. And a bottom will have to be made out of something.
Attachments
DSC_0001 (12).JPG
DSC_0003 (14).JPG

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:19 am

So, how are you deciding on a length?