Turbocharger Source

Moderator: Mike Everman

ddun

Turbocharger Source

Post by ddun » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:16 am

Hello All,

I am looking for a new supplyer for turbochargers for direct convertion into engines of our hobby. Nearly any size will do for my purposes of fun and experimentation, but I would like a little larger one off of a deisil. After I have had my fun and excitment from this one I may want to get an even larger one and use it's parts to build an axial folow turbine. For now I would like to get a used one cheap that I could have fun with and make work as a jet and maybe add an after burner if the mood strikes me.

My junk yard has dried up for turbochargers and is now charging over $600 for the ones they pull. Last year I got one off of a five ton for $50. That is what I am looking for. A supplyer that I can get a workable one for less than $100. If you know of any such suppliers please let me know and maybe others that read this will also benefit.

One problem I have noticed is the core charge and that is why the prices are higher and they are unwilling to let them go cheaply as they did in the past.

Thanks for any information.

ddun

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Turbocharger Source

Post by NanoSoft » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:48 am

I have found that the best place to buy cheap turbos is at tractor junkyards. It depends on where you are. There is a place by me called farm credit services that has all kinds of old tractor parts including turbos. Sizes range from 1.5 inch inducer to 3 inch. The place by me has a bin 4 x 4 x 4 ft full of turbos. They are cheap (20 bucks for small, 40 for big). Just make sure that the bearings have zero wear other wise they usually go BOOM! hehe like mine did. Hope this helps and hope theres a old used tractor parts store near you.

Nanosoft

skyfrog
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by skyfrog » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:04 pm

It's very worse in my country sourcing turbochargers. I haven't found any used turbocharger cheaper than US$100 yet. Last time I went to a used parts store and found one, but they want something equivalent to US$ 170. If the purpose of buying it is for getting the compressor wheel only, then it is simply a waste.

What about eBay ? No cheap turbochargers either, it costs around US$100 and P/P not included. I got a cheap compressor wheel from eBay this week, but the cost for shipping is even more expensive than the wheel itself.

No good solutions to this problem yet.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:16 pm

Yes, the prices always go up with demand. After WW II you could get a Rolls Royce or Allison V-12 aircraft engine developing between 1000 and 1500 HP for a few hundred bucks, and big P&W radials went for even less. You could buy hundreds but few people wanted them Try to find one now and see the price.

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:58 am

This compressor wheel I bought from eBay, the condition is quite good, almost like new, inducer dia 75mm, exducer dia 129mm, bore hole dia 14mm, height 50mm. The problem is maker unknown, let alone getting the compressor map.

I plan to build a engine around this compressor. The seller claims that it can be used to build an 50-70lbs thrust engine.

Can I find the map via these measurements ? Any helps would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Big-wheel-s.JPG
Big-wheel-s.JPG (10.93 KiB) Viewed 6368 times
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle