turbocharger

Moderator: Mike Everman

skyfrog
Antipspambot question: 0

turbocharger

Post by skyfrog » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:41 am

I found a second hand IHI turbocharger, it is small and must be of size #3 or #4, looks new from the appearance, feels smooth by turning the compressor wheel. The only disadvantage is that it is costly, wanting 6000NTD or 170USD. I haven't bought it yet. What do you think ?
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

paul skinner

Re: turbocharger

Post by paul skinner » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:43 am

Nah....not worth it.

You want to find something by Garrett if you're going to build a "home made".
Again, I'd encourage anyone who's never built a axial flow to seek out plans first BEFORE you build and look at the amount of work to be done, + the costs. This is not a pulsejet. You need a minimum of a precision metal lathe/mill/drill to even start something like this. It isn't something that can be built with just hand tools.

~Sorry if I come across as discouraging, but I've built them. It's a huge amount of work and money.

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:08 pm

Principal Skinner wrote:~Sorry if I come across as discouraging, ...
Not at all, as a matter of fact, kinda relief, I must say, since your opinion is also my thinking.

Basically I am following what Kamps's book has instructed(and this book has arrived for only two days). He used a KKK compressor wheel as a starting point, I can almost assure that some modifications to his original design is a must due to the difficulty of getting the same part. I have some mechanical background training, so sometimes I'll forget the difficulty and be misleaded by my professional arrogance. However early warning is good so that I can reconsider the situations before things get very worse.

Many thanks.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:41 pm

No worries. Again, I apologize if I come across negative.

Thomas Kamps book is good, as is Kurt Schrecklings "Gas Turbine Engines for Model Aircraft" and his FD 3/64 is probably the starting point for anyone who's serious about building a gas turbine.
But, if you're serious and have the access to the proper tools, I'd consider 3 engines. All have excellent characteristics, and their thrust to weight ratios are superb.

The Wren MW54, the Shreckling KJ-66 and the Phoenix 30.3 (with mk4 upgrade).
Plans are relatively inexpensive, there's little guess work, and there are sites dedicated to building these engines that can answer any of your engineering questions. Plus you'll be able to find the EXACT parts you need. I've seen some of these adds on ebay about "build a jet engine from a discarded turbocharger"...yah. Right. Get it to run. Try and find the correct ceramic bearings or the right jet grade oil. You'll look forever...

5bears is an excellent site, and should give you an idea of what it'll take to build one of these engines.

http://www.5bears.com/

Plus, you'll have to consider what type of ECU you're going to use.

Good luck, and happy building.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:55 pm

Sorry I must have missed something. You can use a turbo charger to make a Gas turbine the brand is not relavent. Larger gives you more thrust. The whole thing can be cobbled together with hand tools and a bit of welding (ask at you local muffler shop. You must have a pump for the oil to the Turbo bearings.
Go to DIY gat turbines on Yahoo. Lots of info on sizing, prefered turbos, combustor design. oil pumps, using LPG, ignition systems etc.
The smallest I've seen run was a unit of a 600cc Diahatsu Charade it was like looking at a beer can. Ran fine when the owner showed it running to me. Not much thrust but impresively noisy. all done with an electric drill, files and a welder

If you want to make a unit ot put in a model aircraft different story, as per Principle Skinners post that is a big project.
If you want to play arround or run a go cart or a motor bike there is a slew of information on the Yahoo site.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:01 am

I guess it depends if you want it to fly or not. The type you're describing marksteamnz, are probably best suited for static thrust demonstration of the basic principals of turbo jets.

I'm not sure of skyfrogs intentions, but if he want it to fly, he'll have to go the more professional route.

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:16 am

For a first jet i suggest an easy one to build not a fancy one that is going to take a lot of work. There are two was to build a turbojet. One is the way in the kurt and kamp books in which you build a small light weight jet capable of flying. Other is the DIY jet way which in general gives much more power in the range of 60 pounds without afterburner for a 3 inch inducer.

I suggest first go the DIY way then maybe the kurt way. It depends on what you want it for. DIY is for go-karts and static while kamp is for flying. Take your pick.

Heres a person who has been very sucsessful in their DIY jet. Please follow link http://www.nickhaddock.co.uk/turbinepage.htm

Another really good site is the DIY yahoo group. They have links, pictures and files to design your jet. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYGasTurbines/

Nanosoft

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:45 am

Principal Skinner wrote:The Wren MW54, the Shreckling KJ-66 and the Phoenix 30.3 (with mk4 upgrade).
Thanks for you info, Wren MW54 plans is on their way to my residence. I ordered these plans several days ago. I chose MW54 because it delivered the thrust of around 5kg, which is perfect for my use. KJ66 is nice and has already in my watch list. Phoenix 30.3 I have never heard of it, but will start investigating.

I did go to DIYGasTurbines group and have submitted my application to join as a member, but...Never mind. Just standing outside the group and watch people discussing it, is quite useful too. I wonder who is the group owner, Bruce Simpson ?

NanoSoft wrote:Heres a person who has been very sucsessful in their DIY jet. Please follow link http://www.nickhaddock.co.uk/turbinepage.htm
I noticed this forum has a member called Nick as well. Is this the same person ?
Last edited by skyfrog on Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:50 am

Principal Skinner wrote:I guess it depends if you want it to fly or not. The type you're describing marksteamnz, are probably best suited for static thrust demonstration of the basic principals of turbo jets.

I'm not sure of skyfrogs intentions, but if he want it to fly, he'll have to go the more professional route.
Frog want to fly, but he might not be able to. :) I know snake can fly, amazing, right ? I couldn't believe this until I saw it from the TV. (Discovery or National Geographic channel ? I can't remember)
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:01 am

marksteamnz wrote:If you want to make a unit ot put in a model aircraft different story, as per Principle Skinners post that is a big project.
If you want to play arround or run a go cart or a motor bike there is a slew of information on the Yahoo site.
In the beginning this choice was indeed a dilemma, but I have chosen the harder way of approaching gas turbines. Yes frog wanna fly.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:16 pm

Here's the link to the Phoenix 30.3

http://www.microjeteng.com/

I'll leave my comments off regarding the DIY engine and group.

Kenneth built something like this http://www.pulse-jets.com/ on the main page. We could ask him to put the link back up to it, and you'd get an idea of what the final product would look like.

Before I forget, check the engines they have available

http://www.microjeteng.com/products.html

I know this one is not available in plans form, but 150lbs thrust?

Wow.

http://www.microjeteng.com/hf150.html

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:56 pm

Principal Skinner wrote:I know this one is not available in plans form, but 150lbs thrust?

Wow.

I also noticed this engine is very thirsty for fuel too :

Fuel Consumption: 2,500 ml/minute at 150 lbs

I think when taking a bath, I can get myself perfectly clean at a water flow rate of 2500ml/min. :)
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:47 pm

skyfrog wrote:
Principal Skinner wrote:I know this one is not available in plans form, but 150lbs thrust?

Wow.

I think when taking a bath, I can get myself perfectly clean at a water flow rate of 2500ml/min. :)

A little hungry for my use also, but if you're the military and you're building a UAV it's probably perfect.

The MW54 can also be modified to turboprop. (Crappy picture, but I took it in my shop and the lightings terrible). I never built this portion of it yet, but I'll probably be starting this project this fall. I'm converting my Cri Cri twin JPX engines to turboprop.
Attachments
PICT0230.JPG
(718.67 KiB) Downloaded 1212 times

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:54 pm

Principal Skinner wrote:
skyfrog wrote:

Wow.

A little hungry for my use also, but if you're the military and you're building a UAV it's probably perfect.

The MW54 can also be modified to turboprop. (Crappy picture, but I took it in my shop and the lightings terrible). I never built this portion of it yet, but I'll probably be starting this project this fall. I'm converting my Cri Cri twin JPX engines to turboprop.
Just an interested question from me, whats the shaft horse power from that turboprop would you say? a ball park or nearest field answer will do.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:49 pm

Instead of reproducing what's already been done, the bulk of the information regarding their turboprop engine can be found at

http://www.wren-turbines.com/turboprop.htm

Plus, it has some excellent pictures of the finished project.