flame holder

Moderator: Mike Everman

adibrook
Antipspambot question: 0

flame holder

Post by adibrook » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:23 pm

My turbine is going well, appart from the flamehlder. Basically, the weld seams are not too tidy, and sort of stick out inside abit where two pipes are joined. This makes picking a decent flameholder tube abit difficult.

I was wandering, can some of you pros give me a rough idea of what dia flame holder i'll need if i'm using 45mm dia piping for the main pipe?

I'm not too warried about preformance yet...as long as it can sustain itself and make noise, i'll be happy.

I reckon a 30mm pipe will go in there ok with plenty of clearence for airflow around the flame holder, even with my dodgy welds....but will 30mm dia be enough to contain the flame, or will it be too small?
BURN!!!

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: flame holder

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:33 am

Adibrook, i am a little confused of what your doing. i thought we went over this in another topic. I suggested you use a program that tells you the information which i thought you did but maybe not. Any ways the Flame Tube should be 2 times the diameter then your turbo's inducer if its big or 3 times the diameter if its a small turbo. The outershell around the flame tube should have a diameter of 1 to 1.5 inches bigger then the flame tube. The area of the holes in the flame tube should equall the area of the inducer(front of turbo).

I hope this stuff helps.

Nanosoft

adibrook
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by adibrook » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:27 am

oh...right. Really?

I never knew that. So i have to change my design abit. Man....this thing is gonna be massive.

Umm...another little thing. if the outer combustion chamber is 1 inch bigger than the flame holder, does all piping in the engine, right from compressor to the exhaust turbine, have to be that size as well?
BURN!!!

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:42 pm

No, Just the outershell has to be a inch bigger. I suggest scrolling the internet looking at other peoples to get a better idea of what i mean.

Nanosoft