gas turbine as heater system for a hall

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tonskulus
Antipspambot question: 125

gas turbine as heater system for a hall

Post by Tonskulus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 pm

I have a plan for different kind of diesel oil heater for our hall/garage.

Just for fun, I want to use turbo charger as gas turbine there. There are very similar heater types using ordinary oil burner system (powerful fan -> combustion chamber -> heat exchanger).. but I wanna make it turbo charged :mrgreen:

Ok, here is the basic diagram:

My actual question is, how large turbo charger is required for lets say..if I need about 60-80kW of heating power?
That would make fuel consumption of 6 litres / hour.
I actually have no idea how much heating power those small turbocharger gas turbines can generate..

My goal is to collect as much heat energy as possible using big enough heat exchanger.

racketmotorman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: gas turbine as heater system for a hall

Post by racketmotorman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:30 am

Hi

You'll need a turbo with a 1.5 - 2 inch diameter compressor inducer

Cheers
John

Tonskulus

Post by Tonskulus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:33 am

hmm, that really is quite small turbo charger then..as I expected. Thanks.

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:20 am

Hi

Yeh , you need to run a TOT of ~400 deg C just to get the engine to operate , that requires an fuel/air ratio of ~0.01 :1 ( 100 :1 A/F) , you're looking at a fuel burn rate of 6 LPH or 10.5 lbs/hr , allowing for less than perfect combustion you'll need ~1,000 lbs of air per hour or ~16 lbs/min , a 2" inducer will produce that at relatively low pressure ratios , a 1.5" inducer turbo will need to be run at a higher rpm/pressure ratio to achieve the required flow rate

Cheers
John

Tonskulus

Post by Tonskulus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Thank you for information. So I need to find relatively small turbo charger then.

Next step is to design optimum combustion chamber/flame tube. I think 100mm outer tube and 65mm inner tube (flame holder) will be ok, lenght might be around 300mm.
Not sure about that, but I think its ok?
I know, hardest part is those holes for flame tube.

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi

I'd be looking at using something with a 2"-50mm inducer rather than the smaller size , this will allow some buffer for HX losses etc etc .... you'll also be able to use one of the cheaper turbos off Ebay that don't cope well with high rpm/pressure ratios or temperatures, but will/should be OK if only idling along at 30-40% rpm with a 5-7psi boost level and T I Ts of ~400 - 500 deg C

Flametube design is critical , if using diesel it needs to be fairly large with a flame tube crossectional area at least 3 times the comp inducer area , 2" inducer = 3.14 sq ins so a FT of at least 10 square inches cross section or >3.5" -90mm dia , I'd suggest 4" dia FT in a 6 inch outer can for a 2" inducer if you want it to work first time and not give you any hassles , .... go to the DIY Gasturbines Site http://groups.yahoo.com/adultconf?dest= ... urbines%2F and checkout the Jetspecs design tool for the flame tube .

Cheers
John

Tonskulus

Post by Tonskulus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:05 pm

2" inducer (compressor wheel), is that really its outer diameter? It is very tiny turbo charger then :)

Well, at least those small ones are easily available here.

Jetspecs turbojet design software says it should be giving 58 lbs thrust, thats pretty much for such a small turbo charger jet engine. Yes, everything must be exactly optimum to achieve 58lbs... in reality it might be something like 30lbs?

I have seen very big turbo charger jet engines giving only about 60lbs without afterburner...

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi

The inducer is that part of the compressor wheel where the air goes in , the exducer is where the air exits the comp wheel .

A 2" INducer according to Jetspecs will produce an engine giving a bit over 20 lbs of thrust ...............................I helped in the construction of Jetspecs, its not "perfect" but it will get you " within the ballpark " , there are simply too many variable with constructing an engine to be able to produce a Program that will satisfy all of the configurations .

LOL, some big turbos will produce 200 lbs of thrust with afterburner http://jetandturbineowners.proboards.co ... &thread=78

Cheers
John