Axial project

Moderator: Mike Everman

Woodenbox
Antipspambot question: 125

Axial project

Post by Woodenbox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Well few months ago I started planing to build a jet engine. I think I soo pics of FD3/64.
I got myself kurts book and also book called Gas turbine theory. at same night I had to test my skills and I made
a turbine disk from kurts insturctions. I spend lots of time to study theory from both books (hope I learned something)
Someday I started collecting parts that looked good for upcoming project. Then my father heard about my build. He seemed to be quit happy that I had project that involved matemathics in it. Still he said that I would get 500 Euros straight to hand if
the engine will run for 5 minutes. Challenge will be on for 1 year and as many tries that I want Well thats it for backgrounds. I got to challenge with rush and made a something between engine and room heater =) only problem is that when the build is nearly completed I started to gain some realism in my head. But still when its 90% complite what can I lose. I can post pics if somebody is interested. Well maybe I should give some specs about this near complite room heater. It has axial compressor
in 74mm in diameter made in same way as Kurts turbine in FD3/64. Two modifyed ballraces as bearings. becouse of the rushed design stage it has fully threaded axel. That allows me to change combuster lenght as needed. also easy to make new parts to it. Turbine is 60mm in diameter max combuster lenght is 12cm. No Ngv or stators becouse my father tought that it
wouldnt necesarly need them. I dont know if he is right Diameter of housing is 75mm so space between compressor blade and housing is 0,5mm. Becouse the rushed design stage I didnt calculate too much so not much changes of running but it only needs fuel supply enymore. I dont have much idea how to make good fuel supply. maybe FD3 style coil.
You will see the thing tomorrow so you can say something constructive about my project =)

Woodenbox

Re: Axial project

Post by Woodenbox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:19 am

Now few pics of my "engine"

Front view

Rear view

More coming later today =)

Woodenbox

Post by Woodenbox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Now the pictures of combustion chamber. As you will see the construction methods are very crude. But I hope that because I only need self sustaining for 5 minutes this still could do the trick.
I have not calculated the power need for turbine (as I wont understand the math formulas in english.) But I can get the rotor asembly to spin quit fast just by gently blowing in to the turbine.
If someone could help me to calculate that I would appreciate that very much.

Image'

I have a problem trying to design simple fuel delivery system to my engine. So some ideas for that would also be very helpful.

Lineracing

Post by Lineracing » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 am

I guess it is not a big amount of fuel you need to get this thing spinnin, the easyest thing for you to do is probourly to use propane gas. Maybe somthing like a blowtourch with some piping into the combustionchamber? Then you can regulate the gas flow with the control valve. Easy and cheap ;)

God luck with your project :)

Woodenbox

Post by Woodenbox » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:30 am

Lineracing wrote:I guess it is not a big amount of fuel you need to get this thing spinnin, the easyest thing you to do is probourly to use propane gas. Maybe somthing like a blowtourch with some piping into the combustionchamber? Then you can regulate the gas flow with the control valve. Easy and cheap ;)

God luck with your project :)
Could be the best way=) I wanted to use liquid fuel but making vaporizer sticks and feed lines into this design and also buying a fuel pump.

Lineracing

Post by Lineracing » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Liquid fuel is more complex and expensive to build, but I also think it's also cool if you get it running 8)

marksteamnz
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:39 am

Are you sure you didn't post this in the Instructables forum? http://www.instructables.com/ There's one in there and it also has zero chance of working with out many many hours and many many $ worth of modifications