Oxygen and the Smith set

Moderator: Mike Everman

paul fellows
Antipspambot question: 125

Oxygen and the Smith set

Post by paul fellows » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Oxygen and the Smith set

iv put this idea even though it is not an engine as such!

Imagen you could take the air entering an engine and separate the oxygen from the nitrogen, then burn the fuel in the oxygen, using the exhaust gasses to heat the nitrogen. Because it will then be possible to burn five times as much fuel in the same combustion space, it aught to be possible to get the engine to run hotter.

This trick is made possible by taking advantage of the fact that oxygen is paramagnetic, that is it is attracted to the strongest part of a magnetic field. This can be demonstrated by bubbling two gasses through separate dishes of soapy water; the oxygen bubbles will be moved towards a strong magnet, the other gas, hydrogen, carbon dioxide, or nitrogen, etc., will be pushed away from a magnet that is brought close to it by the oxygen in the air trying to fill the strongest part of the magnetic field. This is the principal behind the paramagnetic oxygen sensor. (google it.) To separate the oxygen from the air will require two forces, the magnet to separate the oxygen from the air,and an other force to separate the oxygen from the magnet.
Here is one way of doing this
smith.jpg
has the air is forced into the Tesla turbine it causes it to spin. This spinning sets up a back pressure with the molecules closest to the spinning disks being thrown back out towards the edge. By replacing the normal disks of the Tesla turbine with thin magnetic disks staked; north pole to north pole and south pole to south pole. The oxygen molecules are the ones that are thrown back. whilst the nitrogen passes through, and out through the central outlet.

I hope; that after one of you tries this on a small gas turbine, and proves that it works. And some idiot tries it on his chive and finds that it overheats. Some one will try it on there granny, and finds that there are a few miles in the old girl yet! The reason I wanted to find a way to extract oxygen was that I used to know a nice old man, who had copd, and a small, light, reliable, would have been a good send. Unfortunately he stopped inspiring before I was fully inspired!

If you take on the chalinge of making this idea a reality, then you will get a better engine, and in time someone's dad or granddad will probably benefit as well.

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Oxygen and the Smith set

Post by Johansson » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 am

I think that you will need one hell of a magnet to split an air molecule...

tufty

Post by tufty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 pm

paul fellows

Post by paul fellows » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:58 pm

there is no such thing as an "air molecule"
and funny though it might be that vidio is just a maguffin :roll:
two test tickles

tufty

Post by tufty » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:25 pm

That's not MacGuffin, it's "Young Einstein". It's easy enough to tell the difference - MacGuffin is an American who fixes things with duct tape and string, Einstein is a Tasmanian who splits beer atoms with a chisel.

Actually is what I was getting at is you're as well off trying to achieve beer fission with a hammer and chisel than trying to use a magnetic tesla turbine to separate the components of air from each other. After all, at least beer's tasty. Don't let that stop you trying, though.

paul fellows

Post by paul fellows » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:31 pm

I ment maguffin, after Alfred Hitchcock "a plot device that seems to move the story forward but is infact a red herring"
i think you might be thinking fo the tv series 'magiver' . now that was bad.
the magnetic field only has to move the oxygen half the width of the spacing between the disks, centrafugal force moves it back out wards
two test tickles