I got this....Any ideas for it?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jason

I got this....Any ideas for it?

Post by Jason » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:52 am

i got this shaft and an axial turbocharger from scrap yard. Can i make a gas turbine out of this?
Attachments
VTA 10000 hours 1_drawing_high res.jpg
Laufzeug_NA_S.jpg

Rossco
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: I got this....Any ideas for it?

Post by Rossco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:05 am

Its not a question "can I", it should be a statement that "you must". Very nice score!

Keep searching around here and the yahoo group gas turbines. Once you get a feel for where you are headed and what you want from it put some ideas up and one of the experts will be sure to chime in and give you as much of their knowledge as you can take at a time.

Keep us posted.

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Wow, any measurements of the compressor wheel?

One problem is that the gas turbine it came from is a reverse-flow engine, you can see from the way the rotor blades twist that the combustion gasses must flow towards the compressor wheel and not in the other direction which is common. If it isn´t possible to fit the turbine wheel the other way around it will be difficult to build a pure-jet engine from the shaft.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:30 am

Wish me luck guys.... i am putting way too much expense on this thing. But the way turbine wheel is connected, i believe that the turbine can easily be reversed.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:07 am

One thing you should check is the blade profile, I am not sure but I think that the blade angle differ quite a lot on a single-shaft gas turbine coupled to a pump or other device from that on a twin shaft gas turbine. They are designed to absorb as much power as possible compared to the gas generator blades that absorbs just enough power to turn the compressor wheel.

Hopefully John drops by, he surely has more to say about this. Some pics and measurements would be interesting.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 am

Is there any source from where i can get more info about this kind of turbocharger? AND secondly, i am really confused at the way this turbocharger is build. More importantly, i have never seen anyone making a gas turbine out of this kind of turbocharger.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 am

Aha, I thought it looked like a gasturbine generator. My bad. :oops: