newbie, running but poorly!

Moderator: Mike Everman

racketmotorman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: newbie, running but poorly!

Post by racketmotorman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 am

Hi Nick
Excellent news :-)

The blue/purple area has been hottest , the bronze less hot , checkout the pic of my karts FT after several runs http://www.racketmotorman.turbinebuilde ... =4&pos=102 , the stainless at the outlet end is still silvery but at the primary end with combustion temps up near 2,000 deg C the stainless is purpled from the radiant heat of combustion , this is normal ...................please don't add any holes to try and rectify the colouring , you'll only cause combustion problems .

Further along the FT as the secondary air is injected the gas temps start to drop and theres less radiant heat so the wall only goes a golden colour , when the tertiary air is injected further down the 'tube the temps drop to a point where there is minimal radiant heat easily handled by wall cooling holes ( lotsa little ones) for the inside and the air flow over the outside .

With your combustor top glowing redhot , I need to know if your fuel is being injected "above" the primary holes, nearer the endcap, or further down the flametube opposite the primary holes or slightly further downstream .

If the fuel is injected "above" the primary holes , there will be "recirculation" back up towards the endcap causing flames to hit the endcap and heat it excessively , there will always be some radiant heating of the endcap with that type of design, its unavoidable , ..............some guys have added FT wall holes at the very top of the FT so that air will blow across the endcap to help cool it , but these holes need to be figured into the primary hole area .

As you already have your holes near the top , its probably easiest to displace your LPG injector a little further into the FT , ..................I'll be able to give you a better answer once I see a pic of the FT's colouration which will indicate avenues of development :-)

Congrats again , its getting there

Cheers
John

nickyracer39
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by nickyracer39 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:13 pm

here are the pics of the ft and fuel inlet.....
ft1.jpg
one side of the ft
ft2.jpg
and the oppisite side
ft3.jpg
the radial holes are about 20mm into the cc but spray a little forward towards the primary holes, but im shure most of the fuel mixes "above" the primary holes.
fuelinlet.jpg
as u can see end is getting very hot and is making the spark plug VERY hot.... cant b good!
end of cc.jpg
Thanks 4 your thoughts...cant wait to get it together and give it another go! :D :D

racketmotorman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by racketmotorman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:34 am

Hi Nick

Yep shes been hot :-)

The FT colouration shows a "cool" side up in the primary zone , is that the side the comp delivery air is entering on ??

Otherwise it sorta looks OK except for the top around the fuel injector , I'd be extending the injector down the FT by 30-50mm so that the injector holes are "below" the first set of wall holes , this will at least allow some of the primary air to enter "on top" of the fuel , hopefully insulating the endcap , if theres still severe overheating of the endcap you may need to displace the injector below the second ring of primary holes to make sure theres plenty of cool air "on top"

Alls good :-)

Cheers
John