Variable vane turbo

Moderator: Mike Everman

Maverick

Variable vane turbo

Post by Maverick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Gday ,

im new here but i have been browsing the site and find it very interesting,

My question is , i have a garrett variable vane turbo that i wish to use for a jet turbine engine.

Has anyone used or heard of using a V V turbo for a jet engine? i was thinking i could remove the vacuum operated vane actuator and use a throttle type lever to control the vanes manually to act like some sort of control mechanism for the engine,

if its not possible then i guess i can just lock it in one position.

Also, what difference does a nozzle have on the engines performance regarding normal operation. i know that they are for making thrust but if i attach one to my engine will it run better?

Is there somwhere i can find out what size i need to make my combustion chambers etc?

I plan to run it on kerosene using a constant spark source and low pressure injectors. like those found in a diesel burning hot water unit in high pressure cleaners etc.

Thanks in advance! i am very keen to make an engine now :D

racketmotorman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Variable vane turbo

Post by racketmotorman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 am

Hi
Yep , possible to use a V/V turbo to make a jet engine , you'll find that the vanes can be left in one position once you find the optimium position .

Theres combustor info on the Yahoo DIY GasTurbines Site, including a Program ( Jetspecs) for determining hole size and distribution http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYGasTurbines/ .

Also check back thru past posting here on this Site for info , heaps here , between both lots of info you should find what you need :-))

Cheers
John