turbine blade source

Moderator: Mike Everman

redneck

turbine blade source

Post by redneck » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 pm

would it be possiable to make good turbine blades by cutting a pipe of sufficient metal in thirds long ways, and depending on the angle of blade you need, get a pipe of larger or smaller radius? To cut it in thirds is just an example number, it would depend on how large a blade you are looking for. after the blades are cut, weld them to a pipe with a bearing on the inside monted on a center shaft? just trying to figure a way to make turbine blades without a lathe or a turbo.... any input????
hooowee that was loud! do it again!

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: turbine blade source

Post by Viv » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Rather than make a comment on weather that would work or not I will point you in the direction of BMW and the first turbines being developed during the closing stages of world war 2, with a critical shortage of materials I remember seeing that BMW basically were using tube as the starting point for compressor blades.

You will have to go googling for the information though ;-) maybe start with Luft42 or warbirds

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 am

redneck wrote:would it be possiable to make good turbine blades by cutting a pipe of sufficient metal in thirds long ways, and depending on the angle of blade you need, get a pipe of larger or smaller radius? To cut it in thirds is just an example number, it would depend on how large a blade you are looking for. after the blades are cut, weld them to a pipe with a bearing on the inside monted on a center shaft? just trying to figure a way to make turbine blades without a lathe or a turbo.... any input????
I've always been fascinated by the idea, and was just playing with it this week. This one has tube sections, but what's not shown well is that there's a center section that goes into the ID of the carrier for welding inside (easier access).
impulse turbine, tube blades.jpg
Another was one that we could make in a manual mill with an indexer mounted to a rotary table (or of course an indexer in an NC). A tapered endmill is used to thin the blades.
The attachment impulse turbine.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
impulse turbine.jpg
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

hinote

Post by hinote » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:02 am

Mike Everman wrote:
redneck wrote:would it be possiable to make good turbine blades by cutting a pipe of sufficient metal in thirds long ways, and depending on the angle of blade you need, get a pipe of larger or smaller radius? To cut it in thirds is just an example number, it would depend on how large a blade you are looking for. after the blades are cut, weld them to a pipe with a bearing on the inside monted on a center shaft? just trying to figure a way to make turbine blades without a lathe or a turbo.... any input????
I've always been fascinated by the idea, and was just playing with it this week. This one has tube sections, but what's not shown well is that there's a center section that goes into the ID of the carrier for welding inside (easier access).
impulse turbine, tube blades.jpg
Here's a link to an actual app for this concept:

http://www.rcdon.com/html/gr-5_turbosha ... ject4.html

--you can see how he uses pieces of 1 1/4 EMT welded to the hub. (scroll down a bit)

If you explore the website further you'll find that he had a relatively short-time failure of this concept. IMO the material involved was not up to the thermal/mechanical stresses involved, and the use of higher quality tubing instead would result in a much more reliable piece of hardware. in particular, 304 SS tubing is readily available at affordable prices and can provide the necessary thermal resistance.
Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:29 am

I'd been to Rcdon's site before. Man, I still can't believe how prolific that guy is! Yeah, EMT is a horrible material, and welding only makes it worse, especially at the root of the blade.
I hadn't thought to go too exotic on materials, expecting to just use a 321 flat pattern and hit it in the press for the curvature. He did so much work on it to start with crappy pot-metal. It's a shame. He does beautiful work, though!

redneck

Post by redneck » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:51 pm

i have been thinking of this for about one year now.... nice to see im not the only one... i have an idea i want to try and would love to submit it to somebody that has the means to build it. it is not an axiel or centrifugal jet, but uses bot pricipals, and has only one bearing assybely, far away from any heat source so bearing cooling will be a breeze, and no center shaft for aligninment, and almost no welding... this includes the blades.they instead press and lock in with ease. anybody have the ability to actually make something and the intrest in it let me know please. I would rather this not just be another jet picture on the site that somebody thought of that will never get built... id like to see this thing go!!!!

thanks guys!!!!!

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 pm

I had a look for my original book on this but I think I put it in to storage when I stopped work on jets two years ago in favor of our new projects, here is a good illustration of the BMW method of blade construction and a few others, be sure to look at page 246 as well

http://books.google.ca/books?id=OoFcHOL ... #PPA247,M1

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Yeah, that's the ticket!

redneck

Post by redneck » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:07 pm

are there any free pages that i can use to put up a design? I like all the solid work pics but as i have to use a library pc, i caint get that stuff, any help cause microsoft paint is a pain in the rear!!!!!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:00 pm

redneck wrote:are there any free pages that i can use to put up a design? I like all the solid work pics but as i have to use a library pc, i caint get that stuff, any help cause microsoft paint is a pain in the rear!!!!!
Try Google sketch-up! 3d modeling free!

redneck

Post by redneck » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:13 pm

lets see if this worked....

redneck

Post by redneck » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:15 pm

jet.JPG

redneck

Post by redneck » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:18 pm

sorry for the 3 posts.... not very computer savy... so it took a bit to get my pic online... the above pic is the design for the GT i would like to propose and use cut pipes for. what do yall think????? and maybe somebody with a better program than paint could make it better???? I tried downloading a program and i couldnt at the library.... tell me what yall think???

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Yeah, man. That's the idea. Someone has to come up with a single wheel turbojet. That's a great idea, of course! I've got a different take on it. Maybe I'll model it up tonight.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:26 pm

The devil is in the details, though. If you don't have the math right, it will certainly fail. That's not just doom and gloom, it's a fact. I'm sure not up to it.