Turbo based jet engine?

Moderator: Mike Everman

fastnova
Antipspambot question: 0

Turbo based jet engine?

Post by fastnova » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi all, this is my first post here, well I say that. I was a member a good few years ago and was quite interested in the BCVPE but other commitments took priority, I always checked in every now and then.
Any ways, I’m back now.

I have been toying with the idea of making a turbo based powered jet engine design for a while now, but I want it to produce useable thrust but keep it quite small, I eventually want to bolt it to an RC car.
From what I understand the airflow threw the engine should be in the straightest line possible because every time you try to make it go round a corner you loose loads of energy, and therefore thrust.
This is of course impossible with a turbo by design but the general setup does tend to amplify the problem several times, to the point that the air has to travel back on itself; this is a huge waist of energy!

So to the point.
Why not get rid of everything on the turbo but the turbines, machine a new casing that incorporates the combustion chamber, throw away the oil bearings and get some nice ceramic ones and you have a jet engine not so different to some of the early propa ones.

I will try to sort a pic out, i only have autocad at home, but when i get a few mins at work i will do something in solidworks.

What you think?
Attachments
Turbo Jet.jpg
Sorry about the quality

Zippiot

Re: Turbo based jet engine?

Post by Zippiot » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Your shaft is like 3 inches think O.o
j/k

Someone who knows what they are doing plz step in my only expience with turbines is a shrekky and a badly built axial.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

fastnova

Post by fastnova » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:09 am

3"? thats just the quality letting me down, autocad is not very good at making jpeg's :(
I don’t see problems, only opportunities.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:23 am

Nope my crappy machine scaled it all wrong, sorry
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:15 am

Hi Fastnova

Yep can be done , have a look here ........... http://www.racketmotorman.turbinebuilde ... hp?album=2

LOL.. might be a bit big for an RC car, plenty big enough for a "human" vehicle though .

Cheers
John

fastnova

Post by fastnova » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:26 am

Yea that’s the kinda thing I’m getting at, but where heck do you find a turbo that big? Could it perhaps be from a small jet engine, I know that some of the smaller ones do have centrifugal compressors.
I just have this dream of a 5kg car with 10kg of thrust, may have a problem keeping it a car though! Maybe add a secondary turbine and use it to generate shaft horsepower. Still, would be fun to own possibly the fastest rc car ever! My old rc car could out accelerate a Focus RS and it only had 1.5 horsepower. Imagine it with real power! :twisted:

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:10 am

Hi

Checkout Ash's excellent work ...........he's got a couple of Threads going here .............."Been a while, new project TO4 gas turbine" and " TV94 turbofan build" , just a coupla threads below yours on the Gas Turbine Forum .

Both Ash and I are working on larger engines using Garrett TV94 and GT60 turbo bits , the biggest that Garrett make .

All the best with your build :-))

Cheers
John

fastnova

Post by fastnova » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:13 pm

Am of to the scrap yard this weekend to find myself a nice little turbo, because I plan to replace all the bearings and such the condition of the turbo isn’t real all that important, as long as the turbines are in one piece anyway.

If it all works will have a go at making my own turbines on my next project, I am a CNC setter/programmer so have access to some rather funky kit, lathes bigger than your house with twin spindles, powered tools and “Y” axis, the kinda kit that makes the average hobby engineer blow his load. I be dammed if I write the programme for it though, take way to long, I can just draw it in solid works, import it to FeatureCAM and make it do the hard work for me, gone see if I cant get work to buy me solid works to take home, its to improve my productivity, honest! :D

Sorry, I’m boasting, I shut up now.