Turboshaft book by Shreckling

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Turboshaft book by Shreckling

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:37 pm

I've heard that Shreckling has now published a book on building turboshaft/turboprop engines. Has anyone seen it? What it's like?

Bounce

Schreckling book

Post by Bounce » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Bruno,
It has been published some time ago and is quite like his book about normal engines (the one with plans for the KJ66 and TK50 in it). It also has kind of the same beginning (same maths ;) ) and then turns on to two shaft turbines with diagrams of prop size, best freepower rpm and so on. He then describes his way to a two shaft turboprop on the basis of the TK50 with two shafts running in each other beginning with a design where the second turbine is in the intake stream of the compressor and another one where the freepower wheel is in the exhaust stream. Also comes with a plan and partlist for the first one. But the inner shaft is very thin and also the hole in the compressor needs to be drilled wider, will need some quite precise machines to build this thing.

Greetings hoping to have helped, Dennis

PS: I can post/send you some plans/designs/diagrams out of the book if wanted (in German)

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Schreckling book

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Bounce wrote:Hi Bruno,
It has been published some time ago and is quite like his book about normal engines (the one with plans for the KJ66 and TK50 in it). It also has kind of the same beginning (same maths ;) ) and then turns on to two shaft turbines with diagrams of prop size, best freepower rpm and so on. He then describes his way to a two shaft turboprop on the basis of the TK50 with two shafts running in each other beginning with a design where the second turbine is in the intake stream of the compressor and another one where the freepower wheel is in the exhaust stream. Also comes with a plan and partlist for the first one. But the inner shaft is very thin and also the hole in the compressor needs to be drilled wider, will need some quite precise machines to build this thing.

Greetings hoping to have helped, Dennis

PS: I can post/send you some plans/designs/diagrams out of the book if wanted (in German)
Dennis,

Thank you very much! Yes, diagrams would be great! I don't mind German; it's a fine and poetic language, no matter what the Brits and the Americans may think. :D

Bounce

pics

Post by Bounce » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Hehe...
There you go, already translated them for easier use

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Dennis,

Thank you very much! Very interesting. The more I think about turbines, the more I regret not taking them up a long time ago...

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: pics

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:10 am

Bounce wrote:Hehe...
There you go, already translated them for easier use
Dennis,

Am I right in concluding that the second image from top shows an intake free power turbine -- one powered by the fresh air intake?

An interesting approach. One could use a plastic turbine wheel -- polycarbonate or acryllic or some such. Maybe even wood.

F.H. Reynst had the idea of using the air intake for his valveless combustor to drive a fresh air turbine.

Bounce

intake turbine

Post by Bounce » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:59 am

Hi Bruno

Yep, it's a freepower in the intake duct. Schreckling made it of plywood which makes it easier to build, but power output is lower than from a turbine on the hot side. Also it needs post guiding vanes to reduce turbulences in the air going into the compressor.

So long, Dennis

PS: maybe I'm going to post some additional info Schreckling wrote about it when I'm back home from school