Noob looking for advice

Moderator: Mike Everman

digital_blue

Noob looking for advice

Post by digital_blue » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:21 pm

hello,

I'm new to gas turbines and I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a breakdown of the components and all...

thanks

marksteamnz
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Noob looking for advice

Post by marksteamnz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:33 am

digital_blue wrote:hello,

I'm new to gas turbines and I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a breakdown of the components and all...

thanks
Grrr! Taking a deep breath and counting to 10 for the what seems like 4000th time. Please READ the sticky at the top of this section of the forum.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

digital_blue

Post by digital_blue » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:46 am

marksteamnz wrote: Grrr! Taking a deep breath and counting to 10 for the what seems like 4000th time. Please READ the sticky at the top of this section of the forum.
I'm not looking for plans... I'm just asking if anyone could give a brief explanation as to the function of each component. More specifically the diffuser and the NGV...

thanks

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:42 am

Hi Dig

The diffuser on the compressor slows down the very highspeed air issuing from the compressor , converting velocity/dynamic energy into static pressure .
Approx half our final static air pressure (P2) is "made" within the compressor wheel , and the other half in the diffuser .

With the NGV, its basically the opposite to the diffuser , because the hot gases are going into a nozzle with a smaller outlet area than the nozzles inlet area there has to be a conversion of static pressure into dynamic/velocity energy, this dynamic energy is what helps powers the turbine , again approx half the turbines energy needs are supplied from that dynamic energy going into the turbine , this is called impulse energy , the remaining half of the turbines power is provided by the gases again trading static pressure for velocity within the turbine wheels "outlet" vanes , this is reaction energy .

In larger jet engines there is still some remaining static pressure downstream of the compressor's turbine wheel which can be further expanded thru a jet nozzle to again trade static for dynamic/velocity energy, or expanded thru another turbine set to produce more shaft power to drive a fan for more thrust or thru a transmission to provide motive horsepower .

Hope this helps explain things a bit :-))

Cheers
John

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:39 am

digital_blue wrote:
marksteamnz wrote: Grrr! Taking a deep breath and counting to 10 for the what seems like 4000th time. Please READ the sticky at the top of this section of the forum.
I'm not looking for plans... I'm just asking if anyone could give a brief explanation as to the function of each component. More specifically the diffuser and the NGV...

thanks
And if you had read the sticky you would have seen the links to the yahoo group where John (Racketmotorman) and others have written huge amounts of information on how the components of a GT interact, rules of thumb, explanations of operation, books to buy, further links etc etc etc.
My hat raised to you John for continuing to reply to the same questions.

Might be time to put in bold "READ ME FIRST" on the sticky.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Hi Mark
LOL.... I do tend to repeat myself a bit :-))
But I don't mind helping our newer members to understand our "obsession" .
I remember how hard it was for me when I first started out and knew, "a bit less", than I do now , it was a struggle that I wouldn't want others to have to go thru , so only too happy to tap away at the keyboard and help out.
Cheers
John