Project Radial Jet from a 105mm Holset

Moderator: Mike Everman

longjohn
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Project Radial Jet from a 105mm Holset

Post by longjohn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:13 am

This project still going!
Intake done. Exhaust end nearly finished, just measuring up and cutting steel for combustion chamber.
Have gone with 20 feul points, chamber 160mm long, conicle shapes to run exhaust into turbine to accelerate the air into it. Given sheets to a friend who has a rolling machine to make up pipes for everything, and the exducer part that goes over the exhaust turbine had to be designed on pc and programmed into a CNC to produce a lovely work of art at a local engineering shop!
Pics tonite.
Any input welcome:)

longjohn

Post by longjohn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:42 am

Heres a few piccies:)
Will finish drilling all the combustion chamber holes soon and have the three peices needed rolled up and welded together. Bought a nice TIG welder last week:)

Can wait to hear this puppy run:)
Attachments
jet part 3d view.jpg
the part I designed on computer
IMG_0577.JPG
fitted to the rest of it
IMG_0571.JPG
Really nice exhuast exducer housing they made me
IMG_0533.JPG
Bearing assembly
IMG_0529.JPG
Intake

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your progress its an interesting project

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

longjohn

Post by longjohn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:35 am

Welded most of the cc chamber up, not the best welds but it is only 1mm stainless steel and practice makes perfect! Its the first biuld and will most likely need to be modified to tune it all up. I decided I will get the final product made neatly by getting some 1.5mm sheet and get it proffessionally rolled and welded later once I know the final design.
Last week I bought two bags of pyrocrete from a foundary and got an empty gas bottle and started biulding a furnace for melting aluminium. I filled it with water to expell any gas before i cut the lid off. It will run on gas and an air blower and has a swing sideways hinged lid. I have a friend who has plenty of aluminium cable offcuts which is pure ally that i can melt down for use. I made the drag and cope out of timber to hold the mould and will get some talcum powder For easy mould seperationand pure sand to make the mould. I plan to make an outer ring out of ally finished off in my lathe to hold the outer assembly together and have a nice rounded polished look to it. I might even get keen and cast and turn up a alloy bellmouth for this huge comp inlet!!
Pics soon:)

longjohn

Post by longjohn » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:44 am

Gee its hard to tickle interest in here these days. Where does everyone chat these days?
Ive biult a balancer setup, similar to ash powers setup, but ive used a opto isolator controlled by the 339 comparator chip, to fire the xeon circuit. This is because the timing light circuit is negatively coupled to the common negative, to the tune of 400volts! So to avoid any voltage feedback i isolated the two circuits using this opto chip. Next time i get time to work on it, im planning on putting a high resistance potentiometer between the + input, and the output of the 339, to help reduce the chance of oscillation at sensitive values to help make the setup more sensitive.I will then put another pot on the front and label it " feedback". It might proove usefull during balancing:)
Meanwhile, ive also bought some plywood and my hope is to make up some wooden copies of the alloy parts i need next to complete the outside body of the jet. Ill then have a shot at casting them, and finishing them in the lathe.
No pics again this post as im just using the iphone this post, more pix next time.

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Mate

Sorry the interest is there but even though I follow this thread I am just too busy with work projects at the moment to get involved in posting, but rest assured people are following ;-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

SundayForever

Post by SundayForever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 am

Lol, they are the same, I looked at the number of turbo, you can view your photo and shot turbo full details and drawings.

Did not you get the pm I sent you explaining that I work for Holse? Incase you do not know Holse no more - it is now Cummins Turbo Technologies

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun May 22, 2011 2:31 am

Oh, we're watching, John, just nothing to add. Nice work!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

longjohn

Post by longjohn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 am

Im back into this project, did a test casting made a sand packing tool, worked a tread. Used lost foam casting method.
The lathe is getting a major repair done, which is why not alot is happening lately, it takes a lot of time to get someone to do tricky machining work done sometimes.
Got some 9mm 1mm walled s/s tube to make the evap tubes. Cant bend it into a J shape without kinks, so im wondering, anyone know where some can be sourced?
I have started welding up one using lobster back technique, dont really like it. They wont look real flash, could be inconsistent between each other, altho they will prob work just fine.
Remade the cumbustion chamber end plate from thicker 2mm stainless as i knew the thinner one would just cause warping problems later.

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:57 pm

You could try filling the tubes with Sand...or filling with water and freezing it. I've seen some put a spring around it too. The Sand method has always worked best for me...

longjohn

Post by longjohn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Got a good bender, all good, no sand required lol
Should have done that in the first place!
Had some gains in the ECU area of this project, Now have a unit that reads the RPM up to 60K rpm, and have got a few other things up and running. Next I have to order a AD595 Thermocouple chip (or two) to do the turbine exhuast temperature monitoring in the ECU.
Lathe still not finished *sigh*
At least I can still do some welding of the flame tube!
cyas!