Too much time + scrap turbo :D

Moderator: Mike Everman

mag
Antipspambot question: 0

Too much time + scrap turbo :D

Post by mag » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:19 pm

I just had too much free time and found an old golf 2 turbodiesel turbocharger, after disassembling it and cleaning all parts, i´ve reassembled it and then got the brilliant idea to make a turbojet out of it. I just searched together all the stuff i thought i would need and started assembling. just made a little sketch and calculated the hole pattern for the cc.

After some hours of welding and cutting and grinding... the job was done.

I designed it for propane first and maybe will adapt it to liquid fuel. As I didn´t had a lubrication system by hand at the moment I decided to try it out just for 5-10 sec´s to see if it would run. so I lubricated the bearings with a lot of oil, started the spark, used the shop air to spool it up and just gave it some propane and then, woooshhhh sweet turbine sound and a lot of noise. It was running and all the guys which said im a freak were standing around it and couldn´t believe their eyes. after 5 secs I´ve shut the propane supply down and gave it some cooling air. The hoose which I used for ataching the compressor housing to the cc was close to failure and I think i should better get a real turbo hoose for it not an old water hoose... *lol*

So, nothing more to say, just one comment, Yay I´ve build and ran an Turbojet! :D

Some pictures of the construction will follow tomorrow, i´ll make some pictures after disassembly tomorrow!
Attachments
turbojet.jpg
(74.52 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Trust me, I know what I´m doing... o_O

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:25 pm

Wonderful, I really like quick projects and this one seems to be a good one. An idea pops up in the head, a days furious work and it is running! More pics and some numbers, EGT and P2 please. Also get an oil pump before you run it again, several seconds of running without oil pressure will damage the bearing.

(Hmm, since I like those quickies so much, why does most of my projects take several years to complete? ;-))

//Anders

mag

Post by mag » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Yes I will post some more infos tomorrow. For longer runs I will have to get some gages and the oil pump first.

I have a old fuel pump out of a car, it´s a gear pump so it should do as a oil pump or what do you think? I´ll try it tomorrow and see if it works out. also i will build a plug for the pressure gage.

The problem with the turbo is, that is a old one and has run for several 100000km so bearings have some play already but if I get it to run with oil supply and so on I´ll go and see if i can get the same turbo in better shape. My cc concept is pretty cool so far, but i have to make some gaskets, where the cc is atached to the turbo was a nice leak and some good pressure was lost there.

At first I thought that it wouldn´t work cause the compressor is so small, ist only 36mm intake and very strange wheel. the wheel from my kj66 is way bigger!

When I was calculating the hole area for the cc I came out with some very little holes so i choosed to just make them bigger but in the right percentage. 20% 20% 40% 20% but the cc is for sure not superior.

Im realy excited how the cc looks after the test today, the whole thing became so hot during this few seconds so there should be a good heat pattern on the cc.

mag

Post by mag » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:33 pm

So, here we have a pic of the inner construction, Holes in the cc were made just like i thought it could work but i think they are too small. I will do more tests when i get a oil pump. the fuel pump i had wassn´t suitable for this job... :D

No great heat pattern on the cc after the short run, only the stainless cone has chaged its color.
Attachments
gt.jpg
(148.3 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

mag

Post by mag » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:36 pm

aqnd this is what it looks like on the inside when assembled.
Attachments
gtinner.jpg
(81.85 KiB) Downloaded 289 times