need help with oil mixtures

Moderator: Mike Everman

adam
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: california is home town but currently in new mexico

need help with oil mixtures

Post by adam » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:41 pm

hello i am new to the turbines and just purchased one for $800.00 with everything ready to start, if any body wants a cheap turbine engine they are finally here the kits start for only $599 look up> jetjoe< on the internet, he is a distributer here in new mexico and has great deals. any ways, back to the question? i was wondering if i can use a synthetic 2 stroke oil instead of reagular shell turbine oil some people say it will work and some say it wont work. i know that turbine oil is really thin so if i get a synthetic 2 stroke oil should i make sure its a light weight one or a really thin oil or does it matter, i think my engine is a copy off the wren turbines, can someone please help before i destry the engine by doing something that might not work good with it.

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Johansson » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:21 pm

I won´t say that it will work on your engine, but I use the most expensive 2-stroke oil (NOT outboard oil since it can´t stand the heat) I could find that is recommended for engines with variable exhaust ports. I got the hint from a guy that have built many micro turbines so he should know what he is talking about.

I believe that the main reason why the micro turbine manifacturers only recommend turbine oil is that there are many different kinds of 2-stroke oil and only a few of them are suited for the temperatures involved, but I have very little practical experience of this so I should probably keep quiet... ;-)

//Anders