My first turbine jet design, comments wellcome

Moderator: Mike Everman

kadir
Antipspambot question: 0

My first turbine jet design, comments wellcome

Post by kadir » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:51 pm

Hello all jet thrust lovers, this is a basic level design, calculations have not been made. I have a 60 mm diameter turbo compressor and a match turbine. Note that original turbine shaft will not be used. If could find a cheap lathe, i plan to manufacture it. Also i cant guess about the thrust, if have any ideas, please share,

thanks

Regards,
Kadir

Jim Berquist

Turbine:

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Mara Abba Abbi! (Bad Aribic)

Kadir:

I do not know much about turbin engines. But I can not see how yours is providing the compression.

I'm Not into Turbine Engines as of yet! But Your drawing looks to be missing some things like the compressor blades. How is it going to perform required compression stage. Where is the Combustion chamber?

Go to the Top of this page and read the stickies. Like I said I know not about the Turbine Engine.

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:53 am

Berquist.... I know your gonna pull a joke here at my expence, but i gotta say it! That is a representation drawing... there isnt all the bolts holding it together either! or the fuel lines... or the bearings.........

Anyway, here is my first mockup. (I have been speaking to Kakir on MSN)

Id like to know where you got this one from Kadir, i know it, although i cant think where its from?
Kadir has mentioned a book he has, from a local author... very interesting!

This is just straight off the image above. Scaled to suit a 60mm compressor. (missing a bunch of bits, i know)

Rossco
Attachments
Teaser-forum.jpg
Teaser-forum.jpg (15.57 KiB) Viewed 12739 times
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:59 am

OOps, i sectioned that one wrong! I knew it looked weird!

Ill fix and update it later...

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Irvine.J

Drooling...

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:25 am

*Drooling noises*
arhglglghlhaaarrghglerelrlrlrggrlgglgglgg

Rosco it is incredible what you can do with a 2D drawing with no dims...I'm hell impressed my man.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

kadir

update

Post by kadir » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:57 am

Rossco good scetch drawing, i will start to draw 3Ds soon. But first made a search about radial turbine wheels and saw that they are not very efficient. For example Sophia Jet (USA) has turbocharger turbine and it is quite big, but thrust is not sufficient. These turbines havent been designed to build thrust, also exhaust gases passes through two 90 degrees turn. So i decided to manufacture a turbine. It will be sheet metal work.

Here is updated one:

And some render job:
Regards,
Kadir

Jim Berquist

Ignorant I am.

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Rossco: I just thought it was missing some parts. I really shouldn't dabble in things I know little of. Thank you for keeping me Humble. Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

larry cottrill

Diffusion?

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:10 pm

kadir -

Remember - I don't know anything about turbos.

But, it seems to me there might be a problem:

The high-speed air coming out of the compressor seems to spout (pour) into a large space in front of the flame tube. In other words, it isn't slowed and pressurized by any kind of 'diffuser' section.

I think this will present awfully turbulent air to the flame tube. Is this common in these small turbos? Do we know this works OK?

I realize that the housing outside the impeller that angles the flow rearward provides a LITTLE diffusion - but it's not much. The air isn't really being slowed very much at all, and I think there wil be a lot of shear and turbulence as it exits.

Any comments from others? As I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about in this field. It's just something that "jumped out at me" when I saw the drawing. Apologies if I'm completely misunderstanding the importance of smoothness in this area.

L Cottrill

kadir

diffuser

Post by kadir » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:37 am

@ Cottrill
Yes you are right, high speed air coming from compressor diffuser (vaned plate) will be very turbulent at discherge point of diffuser. Air velocity would bu around 200-250 m/s at this point. This a common design method for small jets. While air passes from diffuser exit, turbulent flow will built and it will slow down suddenly.

This turbulent air flow may take some energy also. This may decrease compression efficiency. More aerodynamic shaped diffuser discharge and engine core desing may be developed. I will search for that.

Thanks for interest
Regards,
Kadir