turbocharger teardown.

Moderator: Mike Everman

gundamnitpete
Antipspambot question: 0

turbocharger teardown.

Post by gundamnitpete » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:39 pm

how exactly do you tear down a turbocharger? i got both the intake and exhaust housing's off, but i need to get the bearing out so i can remove the turbine/shaft.

how do i remove the bearing seal on the compressor side and how do i get the bearing out?

leo

re: turbocharger teardown.

Post by leo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:10 pm

What brand and type of turbo do you have?, usually just loosen al the bolds and nuts and its comes apart. Some brands have circlips to I think.

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Fricke » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:15 pm

It depends on what make of the turbo it is...

One word of advice - Don´t remove the compressor from the shaft.
Unless You know what You´r doing.

The most important part is that You mark the shaft and compressor with a center punch (SP?) so there is a reference mark when You´r reassembling the turbo. I don´t know how big Your turbo is. But hte smaller it is the HIGHER the rpm is. And even a small misalignment of the compressor would result in imbalance and possibly a disaster.

If you haven´t allready joined the DIYGT group on Yahoo then do so... There are many 'gurus' that can give you advice. And there are in the files section a really good writtern 'ruels of thumb' by Racketmotorman (John), read it many times and then you´ll be able to build a safe and fun GT out of your turbo.

I´m sorry if I´m being harsh but unlike a PJ a GT is a potential bomb witch might result in a disaster.

//Fredrik

gundamnitpete

Post by gundamnitpete » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:17 pm

i'm not reassembleing the turbo, i'm building more of like a model R/C type engine, using the compressor and radial inflow turbine.

compressor is already off, when i get finished i will re-balance the rotor assembly.

gundamnitpete

Re: re: turbocharger teardown.

Post by gundamnitpete » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:18 pm

leo wrote:What brand and type of turbo do you have?, usually just loosen al the bolds and nuts and its comes apart. Some brands have circlips to I think.
i have a KKK K03 turbo.

there seems to be some kind of clips but i cannot seem to get it off for the life of me.

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Fricke » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:21 pm

Ok... I read your post like you where going to use the whole turbo...

Some turbos have the circlip ring holding the center of th ethrust bearing and seal.. remove it and se if you can pry it out with a pair of screwdrivers...

Do you have any pictures of it?

gundamnitpete

Post by gundamnitpete » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:24 am

i used a pair of screw drivers (and eventaully the nail remover on a hammer) to get everything off, and i now have the turbine/shaft out of the center housing.

thanks for the help ;)