Gas (Tesla) Turbine started

Moderator: Mike Everman

Nick
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: Gas (Tesla) Turbine started

Post by Nick » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:46 pm

racketmotorman wrote:Hi Nick
Thermodynamics will dictate a certain minimum temperature rise in the combustor simply to "overcome" inefficiencies of comp and turb , and allow the machine to operate even without any excess shaft power being made available .
If you want excess shaft horsepower , then higher temps and generally greater waste energy is the norm :-((
Cheers
John
Hi John,

sure, higher temps greater waste but its a curve and im wondering how far down it its possible to go.

btw we could do with some of your weather up here right now mate ! freezing fog here!, do me a favour and stick a couple weeks of glorious sunshine in an email :-)

Cheers

Nick

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:47 pm

Hi Nick

3-400 degrees C seems to be about the lowest that our gas turbines can run at , though there have been reports of 2-300 C runnings .
If you want less heat wasted , you need higher compression ratios , exactly the same as auto engines , diesels with their high compression ratios will always beat a petrol engine , simply the laws of physics and thermodynamics .

LOL... can I send the bushfires as well as the warmer weather :-))
The whole of the east coast as well as Tasmania is experiencing massive fires . The one in Victoria has burnt more than a million acres and has a fire front of >200 kms and been burning for weeks .

I moved to my new address a month ago and there were huge fires just 6 miles to the north of me with smoke going 10,000 ft up and turning into clouds and burnt leaves falling on Sydney 50 miles away .

Cheers
John

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:29 pm

racketmotorman wrote:Hi Nick

3-400 degrees C seems to be about the lowest that our gas turbines can run at , though there have been reports of 2-300 C runnings .
If you want less heat wasted , you need higher compression ratios , exactly the same as auto engines , diesels with their high compression ratios will always beat a petrol engine , simply the laws of physics and thermodynamics .

LOL... can I send the bushfires as well as the warmer weather :-))
The whole of the east coast as well as Tasmania is experiencing massive fires . The one in Victoria has burnt more than a million acres and has a fire front of >200 kms and been burning for weeks .

I moved to my new address a month ago and there were huge fires just 6 miles to the north of me with smoke going 10,000 ft up and turning into clouds and burnt leaves falling on Sydney 50 miles away .

Cheers
John
Hi John,

you can send the bush fires if you like, they wont like it here though, everything is about knee deep in mud and water ;-)

Interesting you say about higher compression ratios though, the Tesla is much better at pressure than a vaned turbine so maybe we can get those higher ratios and lower temps?

In the mean time a nice, say 30C 2 week spell of weather by return
would be great :-)

have you moved nearer to Rossco then?

Cheers

Nick

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:06 am

Hi Nick

Nope, moved further south away from Rossco , ~ 400kms, and up into the mountains at ~2,700 ft , its a bit cooler and certainly more interesting weather wise than my previous abode :-))
Unfortunately I don't have a shed yet , so all my stuff is still packed in the garage , hoping to get a shed built early in the new year so I can get back into turbine engine production :-)

Cheers
John

Kakeman

Post by Kakeman » Thu May 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Kakeman

Post by Kakeman » Thu May 10, 2007 4:55 pm

Im planing to build tesla-GT(hybrid) too... when i get summer job > money.

First step would be building of the turbine. To get best nozzle-dessing and meassure compressor right, i would need some kind of flow sensors and dynometter. Then i get nice curves to analyse. Simple :P

I think that the compressor should be controlable because turbine works "flexibly" or does it?

Would water dyno work with high RPMs?