fuel question.

Moderator: Mike Everman

crick
Antipspambot question: 0

fuel question.

Post by crick » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:15 am

I have just started studying information on building a homemade gas turbine engine using a turbocharger.

Most of the turbocharger gas turbines I have seen use propane as their fuel.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if a liquid fuel can be used. I thought I read that kerosene can be used. Is this true?

I know that when most people use liquid fuel, they implement the use of a fuel pump.

I know very little about the actual properties of kerosene and I haven't been able to find the information I need by searching the internet.

I have this idea of using kerosene as the fuel for my gas turbine, but instead of using a fuel pump would it be possible to pressurize the fuel tank.

Would it be dangerous to make a 5 gallon steel tank, fill it will 4 gallons of kerosene and then pressurize the air in the tank so that when the fuel valve was opened, kerosene would flow to the injector.

NickC

re: fuel question.

Post by NickC » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:24 am

yes. it's dangerous. get a fuel pump. search fuel pump on this forum and you will find the mechanical bypass throttling method. It makes fuel pumps simple.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:23 am

If you go to the local scrapyard you can get a 12V Bosch EFI-pump for a couple of bucks, you can find them in Audi, Volvo and probably many other brands as well. They are good for at least 100 psi.

//Anders

crick

Post by crick » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:42 am

thanks for the advise guys. ive never done anything like this before and I was not sure on that idea, i saw where other applications (not engines) do use air pressure inside the tank to pump kerosene but I didn't think i'd be able to safely pressurize it enough to deliver adequate fuel pressure to the injector.

It would have been cool to have an engine that pumps its own fuel.

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: fuel question.

Post by Fricke » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:29 pm

crick wrote:Would it be dangerous to make a 5 gallon steel tank, fill it will 4 gallons of kerosene and then pressurize the air in the tank so that when the fuel valve was opened, kerosene would flow to the injector.
Yes it´s dangerous! Do NOT use air with kerosene, gasoline or other flammable liquids.

You´d be much better off with a oilburner pump. They are good because they come with a pressure regulator, with that you set the maximum fuel pressure. And then mount a "dump" valve on the fuel line before the fuel nozzle to regulate the fuel flow.

If You haven´t allready, join the DIYGT forum on Yahoo... There is over 30000 messages dealing with gas turbines... If You spend some time and read thru them and the read the "Ruels of thumb" then You´´ll have no problems building a safe and working GT...
"woot"
A shrill, obnoxious noise/word used by immature people to express happiness or excitement.
Supposedly started in the gamer community, but is now used by any slack-jawed moron to express delight.