Oil pumps, fuel pumps and atomizer questions

Moderator: Mike Everman

NickC
Antipspambot question: 0

Oil pumps, fuel pumps and atomizer questions

Post by NickC » Tue May 23, 2006 5:26 pm

For an oil pump I was going to go with one that is off of a chevy small block, but am confused as to what my input rpms should be and for what pressure. Also, what oil pressure is needed for which rpms. like at x rpm you need y oil pressure.

As far as the fuel pump goes where do I get them and I'm fairly lost as to what pressure I need and what kind of atomization to use. I can use a "jet" or any kind of plug that is thin in one end and has a small hole in it, but that usually requires a higher pressure.
I can't find the atomizers I always see on people websites that are rated for their angle of spray and gph. I would really prefer to use those, where do you get them?

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

re: Oil pumps, fuel pumps and atomizer questions

Post by Fricke » Tue May 23, 2006 10:01 pm

That type of oilpump will do fine. As for the speed do drive it on, the pumps are usually driven from the camshaft, and that shaft is about half the RPM of the engine... so 2000 to 4000 RPM is fine... The pressure should be the same that the engine that the turbo is off from. A pressure of 3 to 5 Bar is about right. The main concern is the oil flow. for a small Garrett T25 it´s about 1.5 liters / min, and for a big Holset 4HD turbo it´s 12 to 15 l/m, most turbos are oilcooled so the flow is needed to cool it.

If using Oilburner nozzles then the normal pressure is 100 PSI, the nozzles are rated at 100 PSI but can be used over a range of pressures.
If You are using other types of nozzles then they may need a lower pressure, danfoss is the ones I use. And for pumps here

The only drawback with the oilburnernozzles are the thread they use 9/16-24 (UNEF) as that tap is a bit expensive.

I would reccomend You to have a look at the DIYGT-list on Yahoo.. There are a "starter" pack with information and over 30k woth of messages on building turbines.

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed May 24, 2006 12:34 am

as thrust increases doesn't oil pressure also? because you are applying more pressure to the exhaust turbine? My turbo is a T04E-14 and is fairly large. Should I get the high volume oil pump for the chevy sb then?

the danfoss site you gave me was good, but how, or where, can I buy those nozzles?

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed May 24, 2006 7:33 am

No, the oil pressure stays the same no matter what thrust the engine is producing. Why shouldn´t it?

If you are building your first GT I would suggest that you run it on gasseous propane before you make it run on kerosine, it is a much easier task to get it started with propane. When you get used to running the engine and all temps and pressures seems OK then you can convert it to liquid fuels...

Good luck with your engine!

//Anders

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: re: Oil pumps, fuel pumps and atomizer questions

Post by Fricke » Wed May 24, 2006 9:49 am

NickC wrote:as thrust increases doesn't oil pressure also? because you are applying more pressure to the exhaust turbine? My turbo is a T04E-14 and is fairly large. Should I get the high volume oil pump for the chevy sb then?

the danfoss site you gave me was good, but how, or where, can I buy those nozzles?
No there is no need for altering the oil pressure. Run the same pressure as the engine that the turbo came from run.

The pump should be able to pump enough oil when the oil is hot. But a standard Chevy pump should do fine.

As I live in Sweden, and here I buy them at the Oilburner specialst. I have no way to know where you can by them where You live... Try the local plumber.