Tacho

Moderator: Mike Everman

wakmat
Antipspambot question: 0

Tacho

Post by wakmat » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:59 pm

Hello

I was wondering if anyone might know a simple tacho circuit.I know you can use a multi meter and get a frequency and work from that,but is there a circuit that will give you a true reading,or a way to convert the frequency to rpm?Any help would be great.

Thanks
Tim

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

re: Tacho

Post by Fricke » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:02 am

One way to measure RPM is to use a PICA-F6 panel meter.

Connect your sensor and program it according to how many pulses you have per revolution. And it shows the rpm with +- 1 digit.

Another way is to get a tachometer and put a divider before the tach.

tufty

Post by tufty » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39 am

wakmat

Post by wakmat » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:51 am

hello

Thanks for the idea,could you post a basic schematic for using a panel meter and a suitable panel meter to use?,I,m not much of a electronic person.
thanks

Fricke

Re: re: Tacho

Post by Fricke » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:46 pm

wakmat -

Well the panelmeter can be any that is made to work as a tachometer.

As for the sensor/schematic it depends on what You use. I´m using a pair of Infrared-LED and Infrared-transistor. But You can use an industrial type optosensor (more expensive, but in many cases better with a small optofiber sensor (M6 threaded sensor end). Or use a inductive/capacitive sensor.

If You post what make of panelmeter You can get and what type of sensor You choose, then I can help You more with the connections.

//Fredrik

wakmat

Post by wakmat » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:44 am

helio

I,m not sure what sort of panel meter to use,is it somthing like this?,but I will probably using an infra red led and a infra red phototansistor like yours,I will be getting them through Jaycar Electronic,so maybe you could specify what type on panel meter if you have a look at there site(www.jaycar.com.au)any help would be great,sorry for all the questions
Attachments
productLarge_5347.jpg
productLarge_5347.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 8538 times

Fricke

Post by Fricke » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:21 pm

Hi Wakmat.

When I read my previous post, I found that I worded it a bit wrong:
Well the panelmeter can be any that is made to work as a tachometer.
What I meant with that was that any ready made panelmeter that is made from the manufactor to measure RPM will do.

The one You show above looks like it´s a "standard" voltage/current meter. And it needs more electronics to work as a tacho...

You´ll need some thing like this, PICA-F from DITEL - Diseños y Tecnología S.A. http://www.ditel.es/.

So see if You can find the PICA-F or any similar panel meter unit, then we´ll have a look at the sensor later

//Fredrik