Schreckling fd3

Moderator: Mike Everman

wakmat
Antipspambot question: 0

Schreckling fd3

Post by wakmat » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:01 am

Hello

I have been playing around with Valveless pulse jets & Gas turbines using car turbos,I would like to build an axial turbine.I only have limited access to a lathe and mill.I have looked at a few plans and the fd3 seems to be the least daunting,is there any other plans out there that a beginner builder could try without to much trouble?

Tim
Queensland Australia
Attachments
fd3_1.gif
fd3_1.gif (20.86 KiB) Viewed 7864 times

wakmat

re: Schreckling fd3

Post by wakmat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:18 am

hello

Has anyone built this engine (fd3)?.If so was it difficult for the first time builder.I should have the plans in a week,so if anyone has any tips for building this engine,they would be great.I plan on posting shoots of my progress when I start the build.

Thanks
Tim

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:59 am

Hi Tim

Are you one of the merry band of DIY turbine enthusiasts in Ipswich ??

The Kamps style engine is another good one, with more power and better combustion , do you have his book, its now in a second edition (available here in Oz , got the address somewhere) published by Traplet Publications
the first editions ISBN 0 9510589 9 1

Cheers
John

wakmat

Post by wakmat » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:24 am

Hi John

No I live in a rural area about 6 hours north of you.I haven't got the kamps book I'm still waiting for Kurt Schrecklings book.I think I can get a copy through Plough books though.Is the kamps engine similar to schreklings engine,and is it something a first time axial engine builder should try?.Sckreckling engine seems to be the easiest engine for someone with limited machinery access.

Thanks
Tim

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:56 pm

Hi Tim
You wouldn't be too far away from Cameron and the boys in Ipswich if you need some help or encouragement :-))
From what I've read and from comments of others on various forums , the Schreckling design can be troublesome in the fueling department , also making that compressor wheel would be more difficult than using a standard turbo wheel , his book is well worth the read but I'd suggest you also get

Model Jet Engines
Second Edition
By Thomas Kamps
The Modeller's World Series,

This is the one I'd recommend as it has good easy to understand info in it and probably the best book available for anyone interested in learning about and making their first turbine , try,

Traplet Publications Australia
PO Box 501
Engadine NSW 2233
Ph 02 9520 0933

These were as at Sept 2001 when I ordered Schrecklings turboprop book , it cost $36 plus $10 P&H

Good luck with your build :-))
Cheers
John

camerondownunder1988

Post by camerondownunder1988 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:40 am

Hi,
Ipswich jet crew here :)

I cvan recomend all the micor turbine books out there. As they will all give you good information. But with the Kamps book that uses the turbo wheel there is a third edition out. Can get it in Australia and it is about $30 I think. If anything get it as it has more up dates on the kamps design.

Also there if a turbo prop book out as well for a micro turbine. Uses a differetn micro turbine as power source and shows gear box related stuff from reading about the book. I would also recomend this if your interested in free power stuff. I havent go the book my self but I recon it would be a great read.

Cameron

P.S. were always trying to build members in teh ipswich jet club we have 4 members total and will slowly grow..lol