lol Pop can turbine??

Moderator: Mike Everman

driveit
Antipspambot question: 0

lol Pop can turbine??

Post by driveit » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:47 pm

this has been on my mind for a while and its kinda stupid but....
is it possible to make a turbine using a pop can???
lol
let me know what you think.

di

driveit

re: lol Pop can turbine??

Post by driveit » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:22 pm

this might get confusing...

there are 2 cans used in this.
the image at the top, is the bottom of one can with no sides.

the image on the bottom is the bottom of the other can with higher sides
.(to keep in the fuel)

the line in the middle of the bottom image would be some sort of nut and bolt configureation so the pressure of the gasses wont blow the top image off and so it can spin.
the only thing is, is that i'd need to make exhuast holes that would alow the top image to spin.

i really dont care how fast it spins or anything like that but would it work?

tell me if you dont understand...

DI

Note: the fuel im going to be use will be either methanol or Isopropyl Alcohol. (rubbing alcohol)
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (8.93 KiB) Viewed 7898 times

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:23 am

Hmm, if everything that spins can be considered a turbine then it is possible. I hope you don´t intend to power anything with it though...

//Anders

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:33 am

pop cans melt quite readily, but soup cans dont (or at least not as easily).

plus soup cans come in a wider range of sizes

soup cans get red hot pretty quick, but they dont seem to melt at reachable temps. i bet i could do it but itll take some time...

soda cans, not sure what they are made of, but im pretty sure its an aluminum alloy

only issue is, soup cans are usually ribbed (for her pleasure, just had to say it) i doubt it will screw up airflow that much but it might effect it in some way...
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:01 pm

driveit -

I am not a turbine fan (get it?) or expert, but this intrigues me because I actually saw a slow-motion version of this when I was a kid. It was a cylindrical transparent cylinder with a light bulb inside, and the rotor part was a multi-vaned disk across the top. The heated air that rose from the light bulb was enough to make it spin SLOOOOOWLY.

So, what I would do is two things: First, pinch the top of the outer can slightly so you have a slight 'nozzle' for more gas speed. You might be able to make four pinches for a sort of clover-leaf shaped nozzle. Second, make a series of radial slits in the 'rotor' (like pie slices, but not quite in to the center, and leave the outer edge intact), then use a putty knife or spatula to warp the sections up, all in the same direction like the blades of a fan. It should be fairly easy to accomplish this. Then, with the type of bearing you describe, you should be ready to run.

Oh - you will also need a place for air to come in to feed the fuel. Punch a ring of small nail holes all around the bottom of the can, just above the fuel level you want to use. I would think that an ideal fuel would be "jellied gasoline" made for food warmers (one old brand was Sterno, but I don't know if it's still around).

Make sure you run this OUTSIDE -- and get a video!!!

L Cottrill

driveit

Post by driveit » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:18 pm

I am hoping it will spin kinda fast....like 1000 rpm if possible and under.
might be a bit much. also i wont be powering anything with this so no worries there. I'll post some pics when i get it done.
untill then thanks for the info

DI