help in designing a small turbine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

re: help in designing a small turbine

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:10 am

Does anyone have an idea how a radial impeller supercharger compares with other types, like the scroll-type (the one Germans call G-Lader) etc.

Is anyone doing anything with the Comprex supercharger? Given that it depends on pressure pulses, it might be uniquely suitable for use with a pulsejet as a driver.

cudabean

Post by cudabean » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:17 am

The above picture from Wikipedia should answer your earlier question about compressor blade design. 1. Not only do the blades get smaller, but they get more numerous with each successive stage. 2. The amount of air space tapers as you go from stage to stage because as you compress the air it needs less room. 3. As the pressure goes up and the air velocity goes down, the Reynold's number changes, so a blade airfoil that works well at the front of the compressor will be less and less suitable as you go back towards the combustion chamber.

Marlin

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:25 am

i gots an ideer!!

has anyone seen those stand up tall fans? they have a drum with little air scoops all over it, and the scooped up air is shot out the top, which is then channeled towards wherever the fan is pointing. can anyone think of a way to strap something like that into jet use?

i would assume they can make very high pressure. possibly can be setup so the air is scooped up in one area and burned in another, as long as the turbine spins up the drum it should have some sustainability.

just a thought...
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:13 am

Hey Marlin, nice photo. Looks like the first 6 stages of stator blades have adjustable pitch. Faaaaascinating.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.