Jet bike

Moderator: Mike Everman

Nick
Antipspambot question: 0

Jet bike

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:59 pm

hi guys,

tis I from the Pulsejet forum! dabbling my toes in the water here abit with you Turbojet guys.

I saw a program the other night about the best ever motorbikes, now i don't want to evoke a storm of protests about whether the object of my affections should or should not be considered amoungst those hallowed machines but i saw the Y2K jet bike and thought " i want one". I cant even consider the possibility of buy one without winning the lottery so i thought maybe i could build a turbojet engine with power take off to slap in a motorbike frame.
OK guys fire away insane idea?
Not looking for staggering performance just something which starts and runs and gets me about.
Nick

Lawrence

re: Jet bike

Post by Lawrence » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:14 pm

the guys from http://www.turbokart.com build quite a few turbine projects, including a small 100hp turboshaft engine on a kart.
An engine of this size might be just perfect for fitting in a bikes frame, without affecting the original looks of the bike too much.

Lawrence

hinote

Re: re: Jet bike

Post by hinote » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:00 am

Lawrence wrote:the guys from http://www.turbokart.com build quite a few turbine projects, including a small 100hp turboshaft engine on a kart.
An engine of this size might be just perfect for fitting in a bikes frame, without affecting the original looks of the bike too much.

Lawrence
All I can say is, WOW!!!

This is a really impressive accomplishment, IMHO.

The kart appears to be very easy to operate, and displays the awesome power-to-weight ratio available from the turboshaft power package.

I hope everyone who checks this website out will view the videos available.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:24 am

Now when my jetcart project is as good as finished I will start a more serious project. I will rebuild a medium sized truck turbocharger for ball bearings and make it into a diesel-fueled gas producer, which will be coupled to a power turbine as soon as it runs OK. The power turbine will run without a gearbox due to lack of space (and because I guess that I won´t be needing the extra power...) and will be linked to the rear wheel either by a chain or a belt.

I plan to build the engine directly into the frame of my pocketbike which was earlier powered by a 2hp 4-stroke engine, I guesstimate that the turbine will produce close to 10hp if the power turbine matches the GT. Scary...

I have begun to make some drawings of the bearing tunnel and have both the compressor and turbine housing, but the actual building will have to wait until I have bought a new compressor and turbine and had the shaft CNC-spun down to 12mm from 12.2mm in order to fit the bearings. The tunnel will have a integrated system to spray a mist of oil onto the bearings for cooling and lubrication powered by a small 12V pump.

My goal besides getting the darn thing running is to make the complete engine lighter than the 4-stroke engine with elektronics was, it will be a challenge but I have the funding and time to get it done.

//Anders
Attachments
Ramen.jpg
Another picture
Ramen.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 10495 times
Snurran.jpg
The core
Snurran.jpg (48 KiB) Viewed 10500 times
Ramen 2.jpg
The frame
Ramen 2.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 10497 times

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:56 am

Fantastic!, have you seen what john wallis has done in Australia?, videos here http://www.nickhaddock.co.uk/jetgallery.htm.

I rather hoped to build some thing thats even road legal just for the hell of it!
keep us up to date Anders!

Nick

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:27 am

Yup, his work inspired me to start this project.

The main difference will be the bearings since it will be too bulky and heavy to use hydrodynamical bearings with the need for several liters of oil, a pump, cooler and such. I want to make a pneumatic starter for the engine which along with the propane starter can be easily disconnected from the bike once it has started. The combustor will be a vapour-type can burner and has to be quite short in order to fit in the frame where the fuel tank used to be.

I have a complete set of plastic covers for the bike (don´t know the motorcycle word for it) so when finished the only thing that will reveal the turbine should be a big exhaust pipe coming out on the left side from the power turbine.

Until next time // Anders
Attachments
CIG12A2.jpg
The pic is from china, but the bike is the same.
CIG12A2.jpg (138.4 KiB) Viewed 10483 times

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:00 am

"Fairing" (also/bodywork/panels) is the word you are looking for. Great stuff mate looking forward to seeing progress reports!

Nick

wendiya
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Jet bike

Post by wendiya » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:21 am

What's the difference between Honda aftermarket dirt bike and regular Honda dirt bike? From what I understand, the aftermarket bikes are still made with all Honda parts? Is it almost like having a "refurbished" Honda dirt bike? The same way they sell "refurbished" ipods, cameras, cell phones etc.? Or is there a lot more to it? Would a 150cc aftermarket Honda dirt bike still have the same power, durability, and endurance as a plain 150cc Honda?