Afterburner for FD3?

Moderator: Mike Everman

DoenerTier
Antipspambot question: 0

Afterburner for FD3?

Post by DoenerTier » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi,
my FD3/64 is now running OK.

Is it possible to use a aferburner, to get more thrust?

In the attachment you can see the end of the machine: ( a little bit rusty :oops: )

I'm now going to add a tube withe the diameter of the turbinewheel, about 10cm long. And at the end of this tube a nozzle (not a real nozzle, just a small cone)

In the tube I put a short coil of a thin steeltube to evaporate liquid fuel. 1 cm after the turbinewheel the fuel is then injected, out of a ring of steeltube with a lot of little holes.

How long should the steeltubecoil be to evaporate all fuel (mix of gasoline and diesel) to avoid flameouts?

Do you think this afterburner really delivers thrust, or only provides a flameshow?

THX!
Attachments
turbineend.jpg
turbineend.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
Last edited by DoenerTier on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul skinner

re: Afterburner for FD3?

Post by paul skinner » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:46 pm

I've never actually tried this, though I've read about it on other forums (rcuniverse). Plus, at least here in Canada, it's illegal according to the MAAC.
I'm not saying don't do it, just be carefull. Let us know how it turns out, and keep the pictures coming.

Horace, what do you recommend?

DoenerTier

Post by DoenerTier » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:58 pm

What is the MAAC? I'm in Germany.... no Idea how laws are here....

why is it forbidden in Canada?

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:59 pm

I have never heard of it being done. But i am sure it is possible but if you want to put this on a model aircraft it may not be a good idea because it will add more wieght to the jet plus it will consum a enourmus amount of fuel so your flight will be very limited unless you add more fuel witch adds more wieght so i would go with out but please try it and let us now how it turns out. A after burner can significantly increase thrust if built right and you may have to change the exhaust a little to get it to work right. If you don't have enough pressure and velocity from your exhaust gases it will turn into a flamethrower.

Nanosoft

paul skinner

Re: re: Afterburner for FD3?

Post by paul skinner » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:51 pm

DoenerTier wrote:What is the MAAC? I'm in Germany.... no Idea how laws are here....

why is it forbidden in Canada?
http://www.maac.ca/

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

The governing body (at least for those who take the time to register) that sets the rules and safety standards regarding model aircraft in Canada. I'm not sure if there's a similar body in Germany.

Regarding why is it forbidden? You know. I'm not 100% sure why, I'll get back to you on that, but, when I asked about this back in '95 when I was building a Schreckling KJ-66/JG100 upgrade, I was told under no circumstances was I to add an afterburner.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:03 pm

Forgot to ask, how are you going to control it from your FADEC?

DoenerTier

Post by DoenerTier » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:14 pm

I'm not sure if this project ever powers an aircraft!

At first it has to burn OK, then the controls will follow.....

What do you think how this afterburner affects on the temperature of the turbinewheel? I have only a V2A-Steel wheel, because inconel steel resisted my tools..... :P

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:18 pm

DoenerTier wrote:I'm not sure if this project ever powers an aircraft!

At first it has to burn OK, then the controls will follow.....

What do you think how this afterburner affects on the temperature of the turbinewheel? I have only a V2A-Steel wheel, because inconel steel resisted my tools..... :P
You haven't spooled this up yet?

I'm a bit confused here, and my German is too rusty to ask the proper questions in German.

You really need a FADEC (Fully Automated Digital Engine Control) to properly run up and test any sort of small turbine.
I'd never even attempt a test run without it, as an overspeed is likely to blow the compressor wheel apart...possibly killing you in the process.

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:57 am

Paul Skinner wrote: You really need a FADEC (Fully Automated Digital Engine Control) to properly run up and test any sort of small turbine.
I'd never even attempt a test run without it, as an overspeed is likely to blow the compressor wheel apart...possibly killing you in the process.
Yeah, and turbine wheel made of sheet metal is not safe, especially made of stainless only. Think about the danger caused by thermal creeping, even you got a nice FADEC which could have a working engine running for a short period of time, but since the wheel tends to expand due to creeping, your engine might turn into a grenade in the next minute. I recommend switching to inconel wheels which are made available by many vendors. I am not saying inconel wheel will be always safe, but it is much safer than stainless.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle