Has anybody read these books?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Temjin4
Antipspambot question: 0

Has anybody read these books?

Post by Temjin4 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:57 am

There are two books I was looking into purchasing but I just wanted to get some reviews if anybody had any.

Gas Turbine Engines for Model Aircraft
by Kurt Schreckling, Keith Thomas

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 92-3520148

and

Model Jet Engines
by Thomas Kamps, Keith Thomas

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 92-3520148

Thanks in advance
Cool stuff happens all the time. You just gotta be on the look out.

skyfrog

re: Has anybody read these books?

Post by skyfrog » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:37 am

Kamps' book is good. I have read the second edition and after some digestion of the content I am pretty sure that most people can start building their first model jet engine. I heard that Schreckling's book is good too, but I didn't have chance to read it.

What in Kamps' book is mostly implementation, regarding theory it is not so juicy IMO. Starting from Kamps' book as a introductory reading and then get a thick jet engine text book for further study is my suggestion.

Your truly,
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

mk

Re: re: Has anybody read these books?

Post by mk » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:57 pm

skyfrog wrote:Kamps' book is good. I have read the second edition and after some digestion of the content I am pretty sure that most people can start building their first model jet engine. I heard that Schreckling's book is good too, but I didn't have chance to read it.

What in Kamps' book is mostly implementation, regarding theory it is not so juicy IMO. Starting from Kamps' book as a introductory reading and then get a thick jet engine text book for further study is my suggestion.

Your truly,
Ditto.
Only despite the fact I haven't build a turbo jet engine.
Last edited by mk on Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:46 am

I bought and read Kurt's book. It is very good! Its full of the theory behind the engine plus it goes through step by step and shows you how to calculate and then build a turbo jet. Has full set of easy plans and lots of pictures. Good starter book.

Nanosoft

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:42 pm

NanoSoft wrote:I bought and read Kurt's book. It is very good! Its full of the theory behind the engine plus it goes through step by step and shows you how to calculate and then build a turbo jet. Has full set of easy plans and lots of pictures. Good starter book.

Nanosoft
Kurt to model jet engine, is like Wright brothers to aircraft. I have one of his book (the model turbo-prop engine for home construction) but he chose not to involve any math in it. So while learn a lot from it still a little bit disappointed as I am not afraid of math, I am engineering background.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Temjin4

Post by Temjin4 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:14 pm

Thanks for everyone's advice. I ordered Kramps book. And I will probably head to the university library to check out a jet engine book for more theory stuff.
Cool stuff happens all the time. You just gotta be on the look out.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:23 pm

Temjin4 wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice. I ordered Kramps book. And I will probably head to the university library to check out a jet engine book for more theory stuff.
Yeah. They are great books. Try to find the 2nd edition of KAMPs book. The revisions are worth it. And, if you get the chance try and find "Turbo-Prop Engine for home construction" by Schreckling (nice little OHDIE 7 engine plans are included). You can find all of these books at http://www.okdpm.com/

That's where I purchased mine about 5 years ago.

just a little edit..Shrecklings Gas Turbine Engines for Model Aircraft has an easy to build FD3/64. I found the construction easier than Kamps turbine.
Attachments
PICT0358.JPG
(960.11 KiB) Downloaded 610 times

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:10 am

Paul Skinner wrote:Shrecklings Gas Turbine Engines for Model Aircraft has an easy to build FD3/64. I found the construction easier than Kamps turbine.
I don't have this book, but would like to have one. Since you have both, just curious what's the difference between Shreckling's and Kamp's ? I mean, if you got Kamp's book, is it worthwhile to get a Shreckling's book ?

Edit : I think engine builders now tend to start from purchasing a set of turbine wheel + NGV + compressor which are commercially available, then build themselves all the rest. So many options they can have, for example KJ66, MW54 or others. These engines are more well developed, need no or little modifications before you get them running. But starting from Kamp's or Shreckling's design it might be a harder way to get a working engine.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Dan 2000

Post by Dan 2000 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:33 am

I read them and have them both.Dan 2000