turbine jet design calculations

Moderator: Mike Everman

ddun

turbine jet design calculations

Post by ddun » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:29 am

Hellos,

I ahve bee doing some calculations on my new turbin jet project and in working on the design I was wondering is there is a PDF file out there that would contain all of the equations that I would need to get the most power out of my jet. If there are these files out there would you please respond.
I also have a plan to replace the centrafuginal turbin with a straight through fan type to make the beast produce max thrust. It will have eight burners and an after burner with four injectors. This engine when compleated will produce much better direcrt thrust compaird to the centrafugal turbin.
It may take a while to build this engine but the rewards will be well worth it. A generic theory and engineering book or papper down load on jet engines would be of valuable help in these design stages.

Thank You all,
Dwight

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:55 am

Um, it's already been done.

Phoenix 30.3 by Microjet engineering. (Non-Axial flow turbine)

http://www.microjeteng.com

Contact Paul (plans distributor) for pricing details. Might save you a bit of hassle trying to work out the exact design.

Just a little advice. If you've never built a micro turbo jet engine and you don't have access to a cnc lathe/mill and the experience of a millwright I'd think about another project. The tolerances will frustrate you to no end, and the cost is astronomical.

Good luck..

P.S. Dwight. There's nothing freely available that's even worth reading on micro turbine engines.

Here a site you might want to check into though that will help you get started;

http://www.gtba.co.uk/

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:31 am

"Microjet engineering"

Now, those guys are having some fun, and profit too, I hope.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

cudabean

Post by cudabean » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:12 am

First, clear your weekend schedule
Second, go to this site:
http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/
Third, enter 'turbine' for the search criteria
Fourth, start downloading. They are PDFs. There are hundreds. Some better than others, but it's mostly good info.

cudabean

cudabean

Post by cudabean » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:25 am

Another thing:

The engine you describe is mostly identical to the Kamps engine designed by Thomas Kamps.

His design is available in a book, which is quite good, by the way.
The main difference between your description and his is he used a single anular combustor.
Kamps describes combustors, how they work and why he chose the anular combustor over
something like what you are describing. The disadvantage of making an axial flow turbine is you
lose the carefully matched set of the turbine and compressor. That's what makes the Phoenix
30.3 engine attractive, in my mind.

I have seen the Phoenix plans and I have the Kamps book. They both cost about the same
($25 U.S. or so) but I recommend the Kamps book because you could almost design the
Phoenix by yourself if you read and understand Kamps.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:13 pm

cudabean wrote:Another thing:

The engine you describe is mostly identical to the Kamps engine designed by Thomas Kamps.

His design is available in a book, which is quite good, by the way.
The main difference between your description and his is he used a single anular combustor.
Kamps describes combustors, how they work and why he chose the anular combustor over
something like what you are describing. The disadvantage of making an axial flow turbine is you
lose the carefully matched set of the turbine and compressor. That's what makes the Phoenix
30.3 engine attractive, in my mind.

I have seen the Phoenix plans and I have the Kamps book. They both cost about the same
($25 U.S. or so) but I recommend the Kamps book because you could almost design the
Phoenix by yourself if you read and understand Kamps.
I started writing a long reply and thought fark it.

I recommend something I've built, flown, and discussed on other R/C forums. Hey, build what you want. It's a free world, and it's only money.