Fuels

Moderator: Mike Everman

ddun

Fuels

Post by ddun » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:41 am

Hello,

I have been planing to build an engine for a while now. I have seen the popular plans and ease of converting a turbocharger to a jet. In fact several years ago before the web was popular and shows like Junkyard Wars were out I came up with the very same idea. What stopped me was the lack of a welder and time. I am shure many other people had the same idea a long time ago in fact that is how we got the first engine in the 40"s. Now that I have a welder and some time I thought I would build one finaly.
I plan on useing a light kerosine such as JP-4(Kerosine with a flashpoint of 12 deg F). I have noticed that many home built designs use porpane or LP. Could someone tell me why?
My plan is to use the largest truck turbo I can get from the salvage yard. I plan on using an electric fuel pump and electric oil pump. I also plan on using a fuel nozzle modified from a kerosine furnace burner.
I plan on using the same nozzle for the after burner. The nozzle I chose for that part will be 90 deg. angle of spray but I am not shore as to how much fuel will be needed. Can anyone give me a hint?
Also I am not shure if just spraying fuel in the extened exaust pipe will ignite.eg. will there be enough air ? Or will the fuel simpley mist out the back as I have seen before.

I realize I have asked some simple design questions, I have a good idea of the answers and I would like some input as to the direction my design is going so far.

Thank You for your input.
Dwight

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:10 am

Check out the DIYGasTurbines group over at Yahoo Groups ( http://groups.yahoo.com )

There are over 1,000 subscribed to that group/list.