turbines specs questions

Moderator: Mike Everman

craig
Antipspambot question: 0

turbines specs questions

Post by craig » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:49 pm

hi everyone. i'm new to the turbine world. the kj66 turbine has 23 blades. correct? what would happen if there was for example 30 blades appart from adding weight? i'm asking because i am drawing the entire engine on the solidworks cad program just for fun at the moment.

thanks

craig.
Attachments
turbine.jpg
30 blade example. balancing ring on other side
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 558 times

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: turbines specs questions

Post by Viv » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:37 am

craig wrote:hi everyone. i'm new to the turbine world. the kj66 turbine has 23 blades. correct? what would happen if there was for example 30 blades appart from adding weight? i'm asking because i am drawing the entire engine on the solidworks cad program just for fun at the moment.

thanks

craig.
If I remember correctly an even number of blades makes a siren! so 31 or 29 would be ok

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:57 pm

Hi,

To eliminate unfavorable pulsations, the turbine inlet vanes and turbine must have an unequal number of blades. This is common practise on all jet engines. Either may have the odd blade. A siren has an equal number of blades to produce a maximum pulsation effect.

Al Belli

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:36 am

Al Belli wrote:Hi,

To eliminate unfavorable pulsations, the turbine inlet vanes and turbine must have an unequal number of blades. This is common practise on all jet engines. Either may have the odd blade. A siren has an equal number of blades to produce a maximum pulsation effect.

Al Belli
Thanks Al, not being a turbine guy I could only just remember reading it in passing

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

craig

Post by craig » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:47 am

thanks for your answers guys. odd number it is. in relation to my first question, how will more blades affect the performance of a kj66. 23 blades being standard. 29, 31 blades???

thanks

craig

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi Craig,

The turbine has a specific number of blades that provide the best compromise between the extraction of power from the gasses, and the restriction to flow of those gasses. The calculations for determining the ideal number of blades is very complex. Most systems rely on prior designs, of a similar sized engine, as a guide.

Al Belli