This is where the competition is at

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

This is where the competition is at

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:48 am

From a newsletter I subscribe to:

"Earlier this year, a Pennsylvania company called Affordable Turbine Power attracted some attention when they turned up at air shows with a turbine-powered RV-4 and said they would soon be selling their little engines to the experimental market. The company now has changed its name to Innodyn, and is also flying a turbine-powered RV-6.

President Chuck Nearhoof said on Friday they are on track to start production of the turbines next month, with first deliveries in February. Each of the four models weighs less than 188 pounds and delivers a range of maximum power from 165 to 255 hp, at costs ranging from $26,500 to $34,500.

(Here Bruno says: Looking at the engine pictures, it is easy to see that a turbojet version would probably weigh perhaps 40 percent less than the current turboshaft -- a bit over 100 pounds or about 50 kilos.)

Nearhoof says they have a "substantial number" of orders to fill.

For now, they are focused on the experimental market, with no timeline for developing a certified engine. "Certification is not a short-term goal, but it is a long-term goal," Nearhoof said. "

This is the link to Innodyn: http://www.innodyn.com/

This is the picture of their turbine:
Attachments
innodyn.jpg
innodyn.jpg (8.09 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

skyfrog

Re: This is where the competition is at

Post by skyfrog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:18 am

Nice looking engine.

If they can help to change the FAA's new regulation for ultralight aircraft regarding the non-turbine and single engine requirement, their engines will have much more air to breathe in the whole ultralight market, instead of being just into "experimental" market.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:28 am

skyfrog wrote:Nice looking engine.

If they can help to change the FAA's new regulation for ultralight aircraft regarding the non-turbine and single engine requirement, their engines will have much more air to breathe in the whole ultralight market, instead of being just into "experimental" market.
Oh BTW, if the prohibition of turbine engine is removed, since the ultralight market is really profitable , then all the industrial giants will rush over and cut into somewhere in the market (high end I suppose), and in the end there will be only low end market available. Tough game to play.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:54 pm

skyfrog wrote:
skyfrog wrote:Nice looking engine.

Oh BTW, if the prohibition of turbine engine is removed, since the ultralight market is really profitable , then all the industrial giants will rush over and cut into somewhere in the market (high end I suppose), and in the end there will be only low end market available. Tough game to play.
maybe even tougher than that. What's to prevent someone like Hyundai or a new Chinese company to cover the low end?

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:59 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote: maybe even tougher than that. What's to prevent someone like Hyundai or a new Chinese company to cover the low end?
Nothing could prevent them from entering the low end market. Horrible rivals.

If I failed in marketing my engines, I can still play around with my little engine, and just treat the whole thing as an expensive hobby, no big deals. :-)
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

hinote

Post by hinote » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:From a newsletter I subscribe to:

"Earlier this year, a Pennsylvania company called Affordable Turbine Power attracted some attention when they turned up at air shows with a turbine-powered RV-4 and said they would soon be selling their little engines to the experimental market. The company now has changed its name to Innodyn, and is also flying a turbine-powered RV-6.
I saw the RV installation fly at Oshkosh, in July; it's a really nice package.

This outfit started out by converting Solar GPU's (as several others have), and then found they could just do the whole thing better on their own.

I think there have been several pure-jet conversions of the Solar, too.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts