Fabless

Moderator: Mike Everman

skyfrog
Antipspambot question: 0

Fabless

Post by skyfrog » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:17 pm

Are you guys familiar with the terms so called Fabless, foundry, IDM in semiconductor industry ? A fabless has no foundry but can still have their IC products. What they have is only innovative minds and computers.

I adopted the same logistics in making my jet engine. I do feel like I am a fabless in jet engine manufacturing industry. I colaborate with casting foundries, CNC workshops, Lathe workshops, sheet metal workshops, etc. I feed them with drawings, knowhows and money, in return, they give me the parts I want. I'll assemble these parts with simplest possible tools to form a jet engine, and that's all I need to do. In a industrialized city I am based, this is quite easy for me to successfully sourcing many parts.

How do you think ? I'll be very happy if I could be at top of the food chain. A predator ? not I am not. :-)
Last edited by skyfrog on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

larry cottrill

Re: Fabless

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:23 pm

Horace -

An interesting example of this is the Dutch fellow who pwerfected the maritime clock and the temperature-compensating pendulum, back in the 16th Century. He went around and had parts built by many different shops, so that his overall design would be seen by no one. Of course, this was because patent protection was nonexistent at the time.

This has been done one way or another for centuries. Essentially, that's exactly what I'll be doing with Luc and Viv, if I ever get the testing work finished!

L Cottrill

skyfrog

Re: Fabless

Post by skyfrog » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:38 am

Yes, this logistics must have been existed for many years.

On this island very few companies are of type "IDM", most companies are dedicated to one manufacturing process only but they are important roles in the value chain, and survived very well. Big is not necessarily beauty, IMHO, small is.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle