Jason's Turbojet Engine, hopefully

Moderator: Mike Everman

Blankout
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Jason's Turbojet Engine, hopefully

Post by Blankout » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:14 am

Update: I will begin consturction on the Flame tube assembly this weekend. Since this is a school project, my mentor, a family friend, is giving me free acess to his machine shop and all of the stainless steel i can get my hands on! so that makes me very happy. The webhost for my highschool is still giving my trouble, but i have quite a few pictures ready to be posted.

anyways, i also had a question about the Starting method of a GT. most i have seen use the Leafblower techniqe. but my mentor (who has designed propane burn-tubes to be used without compressed air) had this idea, to have a portion of the outer burn tube be open during starting, so that you could (theoretically) start it with out using an outside device. although after the turbine starts to spin, sealing up the tube again could prove to be interesting. any input/ideas ?

have a nice day

-Jason

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:54 am

To start my turbo jet i used compressed air being blown on the compressor blades. The high exit velocity of the compressed air spins the compressor extremely fast if you angle it just right.

Nanosoft

Blankout
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Blankout » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:27 am

thanks nano, but i just found an old leaf blower in by basement, so ill try that method.

WOW, on friday my mentor called me up and said, "hey lets go work on your engine tomorrow for a while" so from 6:45 am to about 3:30pm we worked down at his manufacturing plant on the engine. after quite some time designing in CAD standing in front of a "Trumatic 2020R", we fed it a couple sheets of 18 GA stainless, and out came all of the parts. with a trip over to the bending machine, we had the flame tube, the outer shell, the top plate, fuel injector bottom plate, reducer and mating plate finnished. I am supposed to get my web space on tuesday, and i now have plenty of pictures of the parts that we made that day, and an eDrawing from solidworks2004.

Today i took a trip out to the local Home depot and picked up a bunch of brass fittings a ball valve, and an adjustible regulator so later tonigh i will finish the fuel delivery system. the only thing holding me back is the oil system. i cant find any oil pumps around here that aren't like $75, but i'll come up with something. oh well, i've got to go to my garage now so i can blow through a bunch a teflon tape and finish my fuel lines.

good night everybody

-Jason