Jason's Turbojet Engine, hopefully

Moderator: Mike Everman

Blankout
Antipspambot question: 0

Jason's Turbojet Engine, hopefully

Post by Blankout » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:45 am

Hi,
My name is Jason, I'm a senior at a High School in Oregon, USA, i am required to do a senior project to graduate. Being the off the wall guy i am i chose to make a functioning jet engine. I have already been accepted to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with a major in Aerospace Engineering, and i am really looking forward to completeing this project. However, this is a pretty gigantic project, and any help or imput i could get would be very appreciated.

Over the summer i purchased two turbo's from All Foriegn Auto wrecking, I am working out getting a log posted on the High Schools web site, and then i will be able to link to pictures there, until then i can just tell you about it. anyways, I picked up a KKK turbo from an '83 Audi 5000, and a Garrett turbo from an '85 VL760, for $50. they are in pretty good condition, there is no play in the shaft in either one, so i am happy with that.

I am going to begin construction soon, if anyone wants to contact me with some pointers or anything at all, email me, i will be checking this forum every day now.

Thank you for you time

-Jason

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Jason's Turbojet Engine, hopefully

Post by NanoSoft » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:33 pm

Hello and good luck with your project. I would first browse the Internet to look at other peoples to get a idea of how they made theirs.

Second
Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYGasTurbines/
Go to the files section
Download the .exe file for calculating combustor holes sizes etc.
This is a very useful program were you enter the turbine size and it calculates flame tube size, holes size, hole location.

Nanosoft

steve

Post by steve » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:48 pm

Wow, small world! I just applied to Embry riddle a few days ago and I'm pretty certian I'll get accepted, So I guess I'll see you there! (BTW, I will also be majoring in aerospace engineering)

If you really want to impress the other kids in school you have to mount your engine on a go-kart ;-)
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/files/dsc01216.jpg
And make sure to fire it up at school-
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/files/ ... school.jpg

Anyway, good luck with your GT!

Hank

Post by Hank » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:16 pm

Hello- Keep it simple is the best advice I can give you. At this point in your life your skills may not match the ability required to construct what your brain wants to conceive. I am not being insulting, just realistic. The same post you've entered here could have been written by me during the Nixon administration.
Embry-Riddle, eh. I am a graduate of the prestegious institute of sideways leaning across the airfield from E-R, The American Motorcycle Institute. Daytona Beach Forever.
May the fates bless your endeavors. Hank

Blankout

Post by Blankout » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:48 pm

Thank you for all of your input, the resources at the Yahoo group were very helpful, and Steve I hope to see you next year at school.

Simple is deffinately where i am going with this, however i have some "hopefully" good designs for a vacumm/venturi style afterburner, but that will come later. I will post some pictures and my designs as soon as i finish sucking up to the Network admin at my school :-)

as far as my turbo's, i took the intake screw off of both and cleaned them up on friday, and found that the Garret Turbo, (which was bigger) had sucked up something metalic, and there was lots of old nasty oil from the bearing leaking through a couple holes in the compressor wheel. so much for building two engines. however, the oil hook-ups were compatible with the other turbo, so i was able to salvage those.

Again, thanks for the input, and i will keep you guys posted.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:06 am

Also take into account the fact that the more thrust your engine produces, the more pressure that will be applied to the bearings in the turbo, which were not designed to take that kind of force. My advice to you is be content with a working engine, and not necessarily an afterburning one. But then again, I'm the conservative type. I would love to build a GT myself but at the same time I'm terrified of what could happen if my bearings fail or if my turbine explodes and I get hit with the shrapnel. Still, I may attempt it sometime later this year if I can find a suitable turbo.

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:15 am

Every force has an equal opposite force. Therefore if your turbo is pushing 40 pounds out the exhaust nozzle then you turbine is pushing the opposite way against your thrust bearing with 40 pounds.

Jason, just for fun once you get your turbo jet running, take your other turbo and attach it to the exhaust nozzle of the running jet, then take the compressor out and have it put more air into the flame tube. Would be complicated but very cool to see the results. Or not and just get a after burner working :)

Nanosoft

Blankout

Post by Blankout » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:51 am

Nano, I had considered a Dual turbo design, but then i thought that would be asking a bit much for my first project, anyways, the compressor wheel on my second turbo is fragged.

I would have to do the math on it, and see if the added boost minus the added friction and exhaust restriction would actually increase the power. but i will have to try that another time, or get another turbo.

oh well, i got the webspace, i will be posting a journal, and i will be able to link to photos and stuff then,

-Jason

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:38 am

Can't wait to see pictures. I finally got organized with all my jet stuff and might start working on my turbo jet.

Wish you the best of luck.

Nanosoft

Blankout

Post by Blankout » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:58 am

I had a couple questions about the oil systems in a turbo, i will be using a KKK turbo, FYI, but i was wondering if it mattered which side of the turbo got the oil pressure, and I was wondering if an old Heater Core from my car would make a good oil cooler.

Thanks in advance

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:14 am

On the turbo it should say which side is the in and out but if not then the smaller fitting is usually the in and the bigger fitting is the out. Oil also goes into the top and drains out the bottom.

For a oil cooler usually about a 2.5 or more reservoir is enough alone to keep the oil cool for run times under 5 min. And copper tubing coiled up going to the in part of the turbo also is usually enough to keep it cool.

And as far as oil PSI for starting some people lower the pressure to 15 PSI and then as soon as it’s started they raise it up to 30 to 45 PSI. You don't want to have the PSI to low or the bearings will wear but I have heard that too much pressure will also destroy bearings because at higher pressure the bearings skim and rub and fail. Correct me if that is not true.

BTW I think there are about ten or so files (txt) on the Yahoo Groups site I mentioned earlier that go more into depth about oil systems and everything else you need to know. I highly recommend you read them all.

Nanosoft

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:13 am

Hi guys,

I like this place, pulsejet + turbojet, you can choose whatever topic you want, so while building my turbojet engine I can also keep an eye on the pulsejet development. What can be better than this ?

Let's keep jet engine forum alive and prosperous !
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:19 am

I agree skyfrog. It would interesting to invite all the people from the DIY turbo yahoo group to use this forum seeing how crappy the message system yahoo uses is. I am sure many of the people would appreciate it and I am sure many developments would be made.

Nanosoft

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:46 pm

[quote="NanoSoft"]I agree skyfrog. It would interesting to invite all the people from the DIY turbo yahoo group to use this forum seeing how crappy the message system yahoo uses is. I am sure many of the people would appreciate it and I am sure many developments would be made.

Nanosoft[/quote]

About a week ago I was searching the internet and came across some information on some site, but the funny thing was that it had the exact same look as this site, the exact same program must have been used, the same colors, the same lettering, the same everything.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:03 pm

Mark,
That just means it's a PHPBB board, as many boards are. The theme, or as you say, the colours and text used are the standard theme (subSilver) for phpbb. Take my forum for example ( http://ca.hypertoad.com/forum ). It uses the exact same code as this one, but has a different theme.

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.