Compressor wheels and turbines

Moderator: Mike Everman

ryandb2284
Antipspambot question: 0

Compressor wheels and turbines

Post by ryandb2284 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:29 am

I have everything you could ever want in workshop except a lathe, does anyone know where you can buy just a compressor wheel and turbine without buying a whole dang turbocharger. And if not does anyone have any good ideas on what someone could fabricate to replace a premanufactured compressor / turbine set?

And one more thing will some of you go to www.alternative-technologies.org/aircraft.html and tell me what you think of the jet engine plans they have on their website and write their opinion and how well they think these would work. I am interested in all kinds of jet propulsion so basically I want to know if these engines would work effeciently or at all for that matter.
Ryan Behymer

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Compressor wheels and turbines

Post by Viv » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:00 am

It crops up every once in a while this site, do you think the mind control or erotic sections detract from the proposed quality of their plans for jet engines?

I would look on the GTBA group forum on Yahoo for your best answer to components, they will be able to give you source and part numbers

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

skyfrog

130mm Dia turbine wheel

Post by skyfrog » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:01 am

Hi,

WRT turbine wheel, I am endeaver builder who preferred to build my own turbines, please see the picture attached. Note that the shape of the blade is still under trial and error. I have contacted local RP(Rapid Prototyping) service company and investment casting foundry here, I simply provide the CAD model and they make the plastic (? not lost wax I believe, but it can be burn out) pattern and then it will be cast in Inconel. ;-)

Regards,
Attachments
tbw01_s.JPG
tbw01_s.JPG (8.88 KiB) Viewed 12023 times
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

ryandb2284

Post by ryandb2284 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:40 pm

another interesting question for the guru's. I was searching for the word turbine on ebay because compressor wheels are a dime a dozen on ebay so I wanted to find just a turbine, when I came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT, It is parts to an old torque converter, so my question is can you use the parts of a torque converter for an engine, I ask because when I look a some they already have the basic compressor, turbine and some have a part that with some basic modifications could be used to make a diffuser. Just an interesting thought, but if your interested look up the keyword torque converter on ebay and find one that shows all the parts layed out and you can clearly see what I mean.

I was thinking about using the compressors from a few of them to make a 2 or 3 stage compressor with a simple but effective turbine. the rest is easy such as the flame holder, combusion are, and since some already have a crude diffuser, I thought hell it might just be possible, the only draw back that I see so far is the metal that the parts are forged from, I'll need to do a little more research on that aspect.

Very interested to hear any comments or suggestions you might have.
Ryan Behymer

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:24 am

If those things are made from aluminum they would not be serviceable at high temperatures. What is the highest temperature they see in a car? I know they get can hot enough to ruin their oil, but I don't actually know how hot that is on any kind of scale.
Trig IS fun.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:50 am

Man, they're not made to be spun up to high thousands of rpm's, so it's a potential bomb, of the kinetically, instantly, shrapnelly kind.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:15 am

Mike Everman wrote:Man, they're not made to be spun up to high thousands of rpm's, so it's a potential bomb, of the kinetically, instantly, shrapnelly kind.
Not only will it kill, but it will also do it very inefficiently. Namely, the blades are designed to work well in synthetic, silicone compound oil, rather than in gases.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Man, they're not made to be spun up to high thousands of rpm's
They can still spin pretty fast though. I thought torque converters were usually coupled directly to the engine crankshaft, right in front of the gearbox. I rev my truck up to 6000+ rpm all the time, so its torque converter must have parts that can spin that fast. Cruising at 60 mph, my wheels are doing about 672 rpm, using power transmitted through a 3.55 rear end, so in 4th gear (1:1) the output vanes are probably spinning 2386 rpm.
Trig IS fun.

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:45 pm

Hi,

The torque converter allows the car to be at rest with the engine running, and acts as a fluid clutch. When the engine is brought to the stall speed that the torque converter is designed for it is essentially directly coupled to the engine RPM, and transmits that rpm to the transmission. Therefore the output section and input section of the converter are running at about the same rpm. I would use the torque converter components only for a non-rotating part of an engine assembly; as guide vanes or in a similar application. The old Buick Dynaflow transmissions used a variable vane assembly which may have an application as an adjustable flow stator.

Al Belli

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:43 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Mike Everman wrote:Man, they're not made to be spun up to high thousands of rpm's, so it's a potential bomb, of the kinetically, instantly, shrapnelly kind.
Not only will it kill, but it will also do it very inefficiently. Namely, the blades are designed to work well in synthetic, silicone compound oil, rather than in gases.
And this is why I disapprove of that stupid Yahoo DIY group. You can't screw around building jet engines. They're not toys. They need to be precisely aligned and machined or they can go disasterously wrong with fatal consequences. If you're going to buy any parts, make sure they've been x-rayed or ultra sound'd for cracks, or buy a new turbocharger. OR, as I've said a couple time now, buy plans from people who know what they're doing and can offer the critical parts ie, Wren, Artes, etc.

camino75080

Post by camino75080 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:54 pm

Here you go http://64.225.76.178/main.htm. Hope this helps.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will be sitting in the cell with you laughing about how great it was, while you wait for a good friend.