130R x4 Vertical take off platform

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

130R x4 Vertical take off platform

Post by Viv » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi All

These pictures and article are from a site Mark in ZN posted in ANders steam rocket thread, what is nice is that it also has some old pictures of vertical take off platforms that were built using four Gluhareff 130r engines.

The first is the space ranger and we have seen that posted on the forum before the second is a much better engineered product but as ultimately doomed as the first.

Heres a link to the site http://www.rocketbelts.americanrocketman.com/other.html scroll to the bottom for the text on the pictures

Viv
Attachments
Richard_R_Timewell.jpg
RICHARD_R_TIMEWELL_2.jpg
G8_2_jet_ENGINE.jpg
ad_SPACE_RANGER.jpg
BALLENGER_JET_ON_FIRE.jpg
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Jutte
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: 130R x4 Vertical take off platform

Post by Jutte » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 am

Re the last picture...
' Wooah...flaming toastly marshmellows Batman"
Big oops there -like the look on the face of the guy holding the fire extinguisher.
And yes folks - he walked away unharmed thanks to his fire proof race suit.

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Jutte

I have a feeling all that flame came as a big surprise in the last photo ;-) the other photos of the space ranger show the engines closer together but they simply wont run that close together as the first stage inlet tube is next to the third stage inlet of the next engine, the blow back from that third stage will disrupt the first stage inlet to the other engine, I have always thought the other photos were fake but the last one shows what happens when you start a pulse jet with its exhaust too close to the ground.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Jutte
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Jutte » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Going from memory - I think that they could be two different machines.
The Space Ranger was built by Richard Timewell and his wife who
I think were aircraft engineers.
The last one ( the flaming one) was owned by a race car driver -
named Ballinger.
Hey I just checked that link to that rocketman site - turns out my memory isn't
that bad after all.

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi Jutte

Yes your perfectly correct, it is two different builds by two very different people, lesson to me as I should have made that clearer perhaps in the text, the original compact machine is the one that made me so suspicious but clearly the second machine had some real engineering going on as the engines were separated to get them to work, I assume that's because some one tried it and found out the same way I did about interference.

I imagine the ball of flame as they tried to warm up the engines came as a bit of a surprise ;-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire