Original Gluhareff Engines / We have 2

Moderator: Mike Everman

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: re: Original Gluhareff Engines / We have 2

Post by luc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:57 am

Mark wrote:And I still think you should divulge what kind of fancy scale you are using. It just seems too mysterious and we've all been so curious how it works.
Mark
Heyy ... Mark,

Where the hell have you been for the last year. Don't you read when we post? There is no secreties on what loadcell we are using. Though we had that said and clear all the time.

We are using a dynamic loadcell (Quartz Crystal Loadcell). In opposite of "Strain" loadcell, which would read constant pressure, which has you press the loadcell further and further, the signal increase. As an exemple, if you press 100 pound on it for an hour, this loadcell will read 100 pounds for a steady period of 1 hour.

Now, a dynamic loadcell (Quartz Crystal) will give you voltages as the pressure goes up (Movement). As soon as you will stop increasing that pressure, even if you stop at 100 pounds, the voltage will drop until it reaches 0 volts. Now, when you will release that pressure down to 0, the voltage will reverse to a negative values and when the pressure is at 0 pound, you will read -100 pound on the display.

A dynamic loadcell is built to reack very fast in time, where your fishscale will ack like a strain loadcell and miss a big portion of the movement or "Blow" since it is too slow.

A Strain loadcell measures constant pressure. A Dynamic loadcell will read movement force, like a hammer blow.

We always said that since day 1 ... I though it was quite clear.

Regards,

Luc

Mark

re: Original Gluhareff Engines / We have 2

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:17 am

I feel better now. It sounds just like a Rochelle salt crystal I wanted to grow when I was in high school. There was an experiment where you took your crystal that you grew in a solution, you took it and put vaseline on two sides, then aluminum foil sticks to the sides and some wires to the foil. Then you put a thin piece of cardboard on the top and the bottom and hit it with a small hammer gently. You have a person hold the wires and they get shocked when the crystal is compressed. It only produces a current when there is a change of pressure of course. So if you squeeze it, it will zing up to a certain level and then that's all you get until you either release the pressure or increase it. The other electronics must take care of the rest, how the scale marks the potential, "storing" the answer until a change occurs.
So I guess it is a piezo electric effect, I thought it might be but you didn't say what brand or the specific model you are using.
Anyway, thanks for the info, it was sure a fun topic from what I remember.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Original Gluhareff Engines / We have 2

Post by luc » Sat May 05, 2012 3:03 am

Yeappp ... We got them all right ...
Thanks to Mark I beleive ...
Luc
Designer & Inventor