jet powerd car

Moderator: Mike Everman

xxbgxx
Antipspambot question: 0

jet powerd car

Post by xxbgxx » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:51 am

hi!
am planing to bulid a jet powerd drag race car but it cost alot to buy a jet engine 2785$(http://www.vortechonline.com/jets/) and its hard to build turbojet or pressure jet that realy works and give power, and pulse jet engines dosent make enof power so anyone can help or any ideas?

and does jet engines have a good acceleration or i should use a small block v8(150-200hp) engine so i get good speed and good acceleration?

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: jet powerd car

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:13 am

xxbgxx wrote:I am planing to bulid a jet powerd drag race car but it cost alot to buy a jet engine 2785$(http://www.vortechonline.com/jets/) and its hard to build turbojet or pressure jet that realy works and give power, and pulse jet engines dosent make enof power so anyone can help or any ideas?

and does jet engines have a good acceleration or i should use a small block v8(150-200hp) engine so i get good speed and good acceleration?
First, a jet car should compete with another jet car. Unless the power is truly immense, the acceleration will be lower than with a powerful piston engine. Jet engines have problems transmitting their power at low speeds.

If you are considering jet engines, the turbojet will be the most complex to build (the greatest number of most complex parts), followed by the pressure jet. The pulsejet is the simplest. The same goes for cost.

In terms of power, it is like piston engines. Each of those can be made to produce any power. It just depends on how big you build them and how deep is your pocket.

However, each will have its own complexities. You should not expect your first engine to work impressively right off. You have to learn its little tricks first, as a rule. But then, you might just be lucky. I wish you good luck.

xxbgxx

Re: jet powerd car

Post by xxbgxx » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:17 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
xxbgxx wrote:I am planing to bulid a jet powerd drag race car but it cost alot to buy a jet engine 2785$(http://www.vortechonline.com/jets/) and its hard to build turbojet or pressure jet that realy works and give power, and pulse jet engines dosent make enof power so anyone can help or any ideas?

First, a jet car should compete with another jet car. Unless the power is truly immense, the acceleration will be lower than with a powerful piston engine. Jet engines have problems transmitting their power at low speeds.

If you are considering jet engines, the turbojet will be the most complex to build (the greatest number of most complex parts), followed by the pressure jet. The pulsejet is the simplest. The same goes for cost.

In terms of power, it is like piston engines. Each of those can be made to produce any power. It just depends on how big you build them and how deep is your pocket.

However, each will have its own complexities. You should not expect your first engine to work impressively right off. You have to learn its little tricks first, as a rule. But then, you might just be lucky. I wish you good luck.

:D cool man
you know alot about jet stuff....thnx anyway
but you didnt realy get what i mean :roll:
i know the problem of jets with low speed at the beging so am gonna use a small block v8 with the jet engine but i need a jet engine so i get more power for the 1/4 mile race so what i asked about is which jet engine can give me more power and acceleration and i can get or make???

i know its out of the question for me to build a turbo jet engine that realy works but if you can help me with a plan with an easier engine than the turbo jet and have alot of power or i should buy one from the internet and where to buy it? actully i searched the net but all of them are soo expisnev a small turbo jet engine for a rc plane cost 3000$ :cry: the cheepest one was the G8-2-130r that have alot of power

and one more thing actully i saw alot of people on the internet build jet engines but never use it just put it in the back yeard and see it while it make flames thats why am affrid to do such a thing because i need the engine for the car :cry:

so what do u think should i stick with two of the G8-2-130r or i can make a good engine such as the G8>>> and if yes where i can get a full plan not just one image plan for such engine

thnx again :wink:

Bruno Ogorelec

re: jet powerd car

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:53 am

patrick35

Post by patrick35 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:41 pm

hi ,
to build a jet car , you must know a lot about jet engine , how to drive the car on the trak , you have to know the rules of the NHRA and so on .
to build a jet car will go fast on the trak ( 1/4 mil ) you need something the realy push , not something the you can hold with your hands . or if you talk about GO-KART .
but you talk about DRAG RACE CAR . so you will need a BIG JET ENGINE something like engine coming from f 14 ,
the engine is a Pratt & Whitney TF-30P-414A turbofan engines with afterburners , the engine have : 20,900 pounds (9,405 kg) static thrust for the A model , B and D have 29,000 pounds thrust .
but those engine are expensive , anyway all jet engine are expensive . you will probably pay more then 100,000 for an engine that need to be rebuild ( not working ) or a good one for 300,000 to 500,000 ,, ho by the way US dollar .yes half million dollars for the engine .
now you have to build the car the the seamless 4130 grade tube that are expensive too , you have to certificate the frame by hte NHRA OFFICIAL , by the way they even inspact with a RX all the welding on a car the can go 300 mph on the quater .
so if you are not a professional welder , forget about going on a trak with you toy .
what about the maintenance of the engine ???? the engine doesn't run for long on the pavement , the engine suck all the dirt on the trak ( rubber , sand , paper , ect ) so at every 1/4 mil , you must put on a side 1000 to 5000 $ for rebuilding the engine soon .
how it cost annualy for a jet car ,,, buckle your self on the seat with steel cable , it will cost from your pocket 200,000 to 500,000 $ ( still US dollar ) to run , feed your self , jet fuel , spare part , ect ,,) .

how do i know all this ?? , because i still looking to buy one allready made , a guy not far from me have 2 jet car ( 1 truk and 1 car ) he ask 60,000 US dollar for both but the need to be re-certificate by the NHRA ( rule change often ) so the frame have to be redone at some point , engine need to be rebuild ( one doesn't work and the other need to be all rebuild ) .
even if you have your jet care running and ready to go on the trak , are you going to be able to andle it on the trak , it's not a family car that you can ride with one hand , you need to be certified to go more then 200 mph .

and so on .

or you can build one by your self with a pulse-jets , pressure jet , chinease rocket ect , but a turtle will pass the finish line well before you hihihi .

patrick .

xxbgxx

Re: re: jet powerd car

Post by xxbgxx » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:14 am

patrick35 wrote:hi ,
to build a jet car , you must know a lot about jet engine , how to drive the car on the trak , you have to know the rules of the NHRA and so on .
to build a jet car will go fast on the trak ( 1/4 mil ) you need something the realy push , not something the you can hold with your hands . or if you talk about GO-KART .
but you talk about DRAG RACE CAR . so you will need a BIG JET ENGINE something like engine coming from f 14 ,
the engine is a Pratt & Whitney TF-30P-414A turbofan engines with afterburners , the engine have : 20,900 pounds (9,405 kg) static thrust for the A model , B and D have 29,000 pounds thrust .
but those engine are expensive , anyway all jet engine are expensive . you will probably pay more then 100,000 for an engine that need to be rebuild ( not working ) or a good one for 300,000 to 500,000 ,, ho by the way US dollar .yes half million dollars for the engine .
now you have to build the car the the seamless 4130 grade tube that are expensive too , you have to certificate the frame by hte NHRA OFFICIAL , by the way they even inspact with a RX all the welding on a car the can go 300 mph on the quater .
so if you are not a professional welder , forget about going on a trak with you toy .
what about the maintenance of the engine ???? the engine doesn't run for long on the pavement , the engine suck all the dirt on the trak ( rubber , sand , paper , ect ) so at every 1/4 mil , you must put on a side 1000 to 5000 $ for rebuilding the engine soon .
how it cost annualy for a jet car ,,, buckle your self on the seat with steel cable , it will cost from your pocket 200,000 to 500,000 $ ( still US dollar ) to run , feed your self , jet fuel , spare part , ect ,,) .

how do i know all this ?? , because i still looking to buy one allready made , a guy not far from me have 2 jet car ( 1 truk and 1 car ) he ask 60,000 US dollar for both but the need to be re-certificate by the NHRA ( rule change often ) so the frame have to be redone at some point , engine need to be rebuild ( one doesn't work and the other need to be all rebuild ) .
even if you have your jet care running and ready to go on the trak , are you going to be able to andle it on the trak , it's not a family car that you can ride with one hand , you need to be certified to go more then 200 mph .

and so on .

or you can build one by your self with a pulse-jets , pressure jet , chinease rocket ect , but a turtle will pass the finish line well before you hihihi .

patrick .

:shock: lol good point man
so other kinds of jets like pressure jet is blah blah

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:50 am

Ur missing one thing here
a f-14 engine can make enof power that the plane can fly more than one mach

i dont need one mach! not even .5 mach
all i asked something that can make 150 hp to 300hp! so i can make 180-200 mph with the car engine and the nos.

patrick35

Post by patrick35 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:56 am

hi XX .
ok sorry i have miss that , but on your side you miss alot more .
there is my point .
you speack about an engine of 150 to 300 HP , and speed of 180 to 200 MPH ,, oupsss something are completely wrong here ,, or the HP or MPH .
to ride a car on the 1/4 mil that goes 180 MPH you need around 1500 HP depending on the frame type .
top fuel dragter , those who run 320 MPH on the 1/4 have engine output of more then 6000 HP .

so , to be more '' on hearth '' lollll , you can maybe find some old helicopter engine , some have around 1000 pound thrust , but don't expect to go 180 MPH with it .

so , what is the way to go fast on the 1/4 for few undred $ , ??? well i realy don't know , and if you ever find it , told me how , because i do drag racing from several years ( 20 years ) and the only thing i can confirm to you , the speed you will go on the 1/4 is depending on your budget , the more $$$ you have the more fast you will go .... there is absolutly no way to go fast with less and less money .

sory guy , it's the reality .

patrick .

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:36 am

hi Patrick

your 100% Right am a beginer anyway.
and sorry about the mph because we use kmph so its not correct but i want to make 10.5-12 sec(140-145mph) on the 1/4 mile x)

what am trying to do is to build a car that can keep with other drag race car which have a big mean engines but with out the high cost,so i thought if i sticked a couple of pressre jet engine on a back of small car like civic and with the car enigine and a turbo and nitros it will make the 1/4 mile in 11scnd

and what made me ask about useing a Pressure jet engine becuz they say in this site " http://www.vortechonline.com/jets/gallery/ " that a plane with 2 g8-2-130r can go up to 500mph so i thought it can help!

so can you tell me any ideas since you have 20 years of exprenc?

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by luc » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:26 pm

xxbgxx wrote:hi Patrick

and sorry about the mph because we use kmph so its not correct but i want to make 10.5-12 sec(140-145mph) on the 1/4 mile x)

what am trying to do is to build a car that can keep with other drag race car which have a big mean engines but with out the high cost,so i thought if i sticked a couple of pressre jet engine on a back of small car like civic and with the car enigine and a turbo and nitros it will make the 1/4 mile in 11scnd

and what made me ask about useing a Pressure jet engine becuz they say in this site " http://www.vortechonline.com/jets/gallery/ " that a plane with 2 g8-2-130r can go up to 500mph so i thought it can help!

Hi XX,

It all boiled down to thrust to weigth ratio. As an exemple, an F-16 as a thrust to weigth ratio of 1 to 1, using a 26,000 pound of thrust engine and takes off around 150 knots (277 Km/Hr) and well before it reachs the end of the tract (3000 to 5000 feet long). So this should tell you alot.

Viv and I have plan to build such car later and for sure, our car will have a minimum thrust to weight ratio of 1 to 1.

An other exemple is that a 100 pound "Drone" using a 35 lbs. thrust engine (.3 to 1 ratio) can reach speeds up to 600 Km/Hr. The question is, how much distance it takes for it to reach that speed.

But it all boils down to thrust to weigth vs distance.

My advise would be not to consider anything lower then 1 to 1 ratio.

Regards,

Luc

ZSartell

Post by ZSartell » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:13 pm

You are going to need near 5000# of thrust to compete with any other jet powered dragster out there and you are going to need over 2000# of thrust to get near or over 200mph and that would depend on your thrust to weight ratio like Luc explained. I have been designing a pulse jet powered dragster that should have near 1700 - 2000# of thrust but I have been denied by the NHRA and the IHRA. They say that my design could not stand up to their rules. I think that means that they do not want to have to learn anything about a pulse jet engine, nor make new rules for the engines themselves since the chassis would be identicle to the real jet dragsters... Oh well.... for the big tracks anyway. Hopefully if I ever get a chance to build this dragster, I'll be taking it to the local dragstrips that are a little more (half ass) than the big tracks and after racing there, maybe the NHRA and IHRA will get to see that I should be able to race under their rules on their tracks....

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by luc » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:35 pm

ZSartell wrote:You are going to need near 5000# of thrust to compete with any other jet powered dragster out there and you are going to need over 2000# of thrust to get near or over 200mph and that would depend on your thrust to weight ratio like Luc explained. I have been designing a pulse jet powered dragster that should have near 1700 - 2000# of thrust but I have been denied by the NHRA and the IHRA. They say that my design could not stand up to their rules. I think that means that they do not want to have to learn anything about a pulse jet engine, nor make new rules for the engines themselves since the chassis would be identicle to the real jet dragsters... Oh well.... for the big tracks anyway. Hopefully if I ever get a chance to build this dragster, I'll be taking it to the local dragstrips that are a little more (half ass) than the big tracks and after racing there, maybe the NHRA and IHRA will get to see that I should be able to race under their rules on their tracks....
Hi Z,

That sucks buddy. But there is a way around this you know.

The best way is to have them ask you to come on their tracks. And how will you acheive this? ... Simple.

Build your pulse jet car in a way that the car has very good thrust ratio and his very light. Then blow off or match some speed records, somewhere else, on a local airport tracks or desert, then send them an official records of your acheivements.

These guys have pretty big egos you know and they won't like having someone claiming high speed capabilities, especially with a car equipped with plain "Sheet Metal" engine(s). They LOVE to beat everything on this planet. So ... Give them that "Other thing" .... To beat and they will go after you.

They are the ones that will invite you to the track.

As Viv and I found out, the magic word when introducing pulse jets or pressure jets in applications ... Is "Demonstrations".

Demonstrate ... And they will ask for you.

Hooo ... One more thing. As we have made new discoverys, we are now capable of designing and manufacturing custom pressure jets with thrust rating as one would specify. So, call the thrust you want and we can build it. But keep in mind that a 1000 lbs. thrust capable pressure jet would have a tail pipe diameter in the area of 20 inches and swalow a decent load of liquid propane.

Regards,

Luc

leo

Post by leo » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:41 pm

try a steam rocket , seems to me its easy to build and cheap.
http://www.blastwavejet.com/rocketcar.htm

patrick35

Post by patrick35 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:47 pm

hi LUC .

you remember NAPIERVILLE DRAGWAY ?? loll i'm sure you know this field hihihi , at this drag way you can race with everything you want , including , vtt , dirt bike , snow mobil , ect ....
the question i have is are they gonna let you ride on the track with a 100 pound butle of liquide propane ???? hihihi i don't think .i will ask the owner next time .

i have ask the owner of the track about jet car , ( at napierville dragway ) i have ask him if i can race with a non legal frame , he said YES but when the event will begin i will not be allowed to race , i can race bafore the show began ( practice time ) . because they use NHRA rules for the event .

patrick .

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:21 am

Luc wrote:
xxbgxx wrote:hi Patrick

Hi XX,

It all boiled down to thrust to weigth ratio. As an exemple, an F-16 as a thrust to weigth ratio of 1 to 1, using a 26,000 pound of thrust engine and takes off around 150 knots (277 Km/Hr) and well before it reachs the end of the tract (3000 to 5000 feet long). So this should tell you alot.

Viv and I have plan to build such car later and for sure, our car will have a minimum thrust to weight ratio of 1 to 1.

An other exemple is that a 100 pound "Drone" using a 35 lbs. thrust engine (.3 to 1 ratio) can reach speeds up to 600 Km/Hr. The question is, how much distance it takes for it to reach that speed.

But it all boils down to thrust to weigth vs distance.

My advise would be not to consider anything lower then 1 to 1 ratio.

Regards,

Luc
hi luc
thanx man
and please tell me more about your project dont be afried i wont stell your idea(i cant anyway) :)

and you said you build pressure engine
wht kind engines you build ?and how much power it makes?
because i may buy one from you
and how much thrust a small car need so it make 150mph in the 1/4
Last edited by xxbgxx on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.