jet powerd car

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: jet powerd car

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:29 pm

mk wrote:Well, doubt about the details, but the story really happened.
No it didn't. It is one of the most widespread urban myths of modern time. I have seen at least a dozen different variations of the same story. There's a website devoted to urban myths that has a very good study on this story. Unfortunately I forget its name and URL but it should not be too difficult to find it with Google or something.

Mark

re: jet powerd car

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:30 am

I typed the words Myth Busters Jato into Google and got this.
Mark
http://kwc.org/blog/archives/2004/2004- ... t_car.html
And from that link I linked to this.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/jato.asp
I find you just have to ask what you want to know about and most times you can find it if you use the right words. It is as if we don't realize the power of a question, or rather the power you have to find information.
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:40 am

Presentation is Everything

mk

Post by mk » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:26 am

Well, I thought I read or heard the story from some serious source. I've known about it for quite a while.

However, thanks for correcting my believe to a myth, Mark S.
mk

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:46 pm

mk wrote:Well, I thought I read or heard the story from some serious source. I've known about it for quite a while.

However, thanks for correcting my believe to a myth, Mark S.
Bother! I really hoped there was some other solid rocket powered car out there. The film of the Rak series cars running that I saw as a kid really impressed / awed me. Very old fuzzy images but wow!! Great plumes of smoke and fierce acceleration. http://www.daviddarling.info/encycloped ... l-RAK.html

Mind you a 1000 pounds of Pressure jet will be pretty spectacular on the back of a dragster.
My dream is to see a GLC dragster pass that horrendus piece of crap Bruce has built in a one on one drag race. That I'd pay to watch!!
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:16 pm

mk wrote:Well, doubt about the details, but the story really happened.

What sets at least two facts true:
1. Guy set up car with some rocket motor(s).
2. Guy died by loosing control somehow when the car reached higher speed values.

Just read a lot, gather information and at least double-check engeneering before assembling a vehicle with any sort of engine and some larger amount of stored energy, of potential or chemical or whatever type.

Just my two cents.
yhea man thats what am gonna do
actully now am working on the frame
and i will keep the engine for later

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:36 am

so you are planning to kill yourself by attatching rocket engines to your car? Well, at least you'll be going out with some style, better than kicking the bucket while sitting on the crapper I suppose :)
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:03 am

El-Kablooey wrote:so you are planning to kill yourself by attatching rocket engines to your car? Well, at least you'll be going out with some style, better than kicking the bucket while sitting on the crapper I suppose :)
HELL NO MAN
do you think am f***d in the head
i will only use valveless or a pressure engine NO ROCKETS at all
after all Luc have a good point
once you turn a rocket on you can turn it off and you cant contral it

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:42 am

I know dude, it was a joke, reread your post.

Oh yeah, have you not considered large valved engines? they would be fine for quite a few drag races before you had to change valves. Valved engines produce quite a bit more thrust than valveless engines for the same approx size.

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:19 am

El-Kablooey wrote:I know dude, it was a joke, reread your post.

Oh yeah, have you not considered large valved engines? they would be fine for quite a few drag races before you had to change valves. Valved engines produce quite a bit more thrust than valveless engines for the same approx size.
lol
realy man i can go a few races befor i have to change the valve?
because i thought they only work for arounde 5 mintues then you have to change the valve
anthor thing there is like a 15 diffrent type of them
which one do you think is beter?

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:06 am

I have no experience with valved engines whatsoever (and only very little with valveless) but from what I understand the valves generally last around 30 minutes. I am pretty sure that a grid-type system like on the v1 is the better, especially for larger engines, but alot more complicated to build. I've seen pics of large 100lb engines with petal valves though.
If you look in the "tools and construction" forum under "today's tidbits", Mark has posted a link to a very nice looking engine with a grid-valve system that is listed on ebay for $500 at the moment, the seller also states something about larger engines I'm cannot remember exactly but I think he has 150lb engines too. I have also regularly seen u.s. military pulsejets meant for target drones on ebay, just look around and search for pulsejet, pulse jet, and jet engine. If you really wanted to, it probably wouldn't be all that difficult to build a V1 clone, if you have access to the tools needed to build the valve head.

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:23 pm

Oh yeah, there is also the possibility of using a liquid-fueled rocket. I don't think it would be as difficult as some think to build. I would not use pure oxygen though. I have read of great success with various liquid oxidisers that would be relatively easy to obtain. There is a site on the net, although I cannot remember its name, that sells smallish rockets that run on gasoline and 50% hydrogen peroxide. A setup like that would be relatively safe, simple, and effective. The hydrogen peroxide is no problem to obtain, 30% can be bought for swimming pools, and by freezing it can be refined to 62%, without the need for any specialized equipment.

pezman

Post by pezman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:31 pm

N2O hybrid rockets seem to be in vogue and are reportedly very simple to build.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automot ... page=3&c=y

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:28 pm

hi all
El-kablooey and pezman
am still looking arounde to learn more about valve pulse jet
and about rocket engines the two types seems easy specially the one that uses nos because i like using nos
but guys can you help me by tell me where to find their plans or at least blueprints

because LIKE ALWAYS when i searched google i founded NOTHING

anther thing are they only for one time use or i can reuse them?

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:19 am

You can find blueprints for pulsejets on the main page of the site, and in the sticky "looking for plans" at each forum. As for the rockets, I don't know of any plans. What you will have to do is learn enough about rocket engines that you feel comfortable designing your own. You probably shouldn't mess with rockets without that knowledge anyhow.

here's a file containing lots of rocket design information. it is in html format, after you unpack it, open the file "book.html"
Attachments
rocket.rar
(303.92 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times