of compressing the fuel-air mixture.
The mixture exits the intake duct into a TVC formed by an annular
cavity in the combustion chamber wall (or a bluff centerbody) and the
flat rear end of the conical centerbody. The exhaust exits through a
divergent nozzle.
To preheat the fuel prior to injection through the Coanda slot, the
fuel line is coiled within the combustion chamber. I would think that
more air would be entrained by use of the Coanda slot than by a
central nozzle. The TVC should increase fuel efficiency.
Best Wishes
Matt

pezman
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Pressure jet idea

Post by pezman » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:40 pm

There have been a few suggestions in the past about using propane through an air-amplifier as the front end of a thermojet. No reason it shouldn't work, I guess.

I think that making an efficient air-amp, getting the air/fuel mixture tuned to a suitable equivalence ratio etc. might take some doing. Exair makes some stainless air-amps that are tuneable, but they are pretty expensive and the tuning might need to vary as a funciton of several variables, esp. if you want throttleability.

There have been a few posts about trapped vortex combustors as well, but nobody on this site has built one as far as I know. Again, getting suitale TVC geometry work out might take some R&D.

At any rate, not intending to sound discouraging -- I think that a reasonably determined person could build what you are proposing and that it would work reasonably well. My guess is that you could surpass the SFC of any conventional pulse-jet (note that the bar is pretty low). Nice t see someone acknowledging the amazing amount of motive energy in liquid propane even before you burn it -- especially if you pre-heat it (there is a post around here somewhere of propane vapor pressure as a function of temperature)

Since your proposal is basically a Brayton cycle engine, it's upper limit of efficiency should be similar to that of a ramjet of turbine w/o bypass.

Personally, I'm more fascinated by unsteady combustion, particularly blast compression after having built a few small test rigs. The problem is getting the cycle to fire rapidly enough.

I saw site where a guy was using pre-heating of propane to power a turbine and he found that the fuel line started surging. If that could be harnessed to drive your engine in an unsteady mode, it might be a lot more interesting. The air-amp would be more tolerant of surge than a rotary compressor. Or if you could drive it into unsteady combustion some other way ....

As an aside, I read (I think in the Gluhareff patent) that pre-heating turns the propane into propylene under the right circumstances and that the stoichiometric air-propylene ratio is lower than the stoichiometric air-propane ratio.

At any rate, if you build it, it will generat lots of interest.