How loud is a PressureJet?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Re: How loud is a PressureJet?

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:02 am

Here's something I came across related to bullets fired into the air. Read the estimated foot pounds of a 1000 pound shell fired into the air and falling to earth at the the bottom of the page too!
Mark
http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/March01.htm
Presentation is Everything

steve
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: How loud is a PressureJet?

Post by steve » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:20 pm

Mark wrote:Here's something I came across related to bullets fired into the air. Read the estimated foot pounds of a 1000 pound shell fired into the air and falling to earth at the the bottom of the page too!
Mark
http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/March01.htm
you can really get an appreciation for how much drag acts on a bullet if you look downrange with a high powered spotting scope while someone is shooting. If you have ever seen "the Matrix" then you are probably familair with the cool shockwaves forming around the bullets in the slow motion scenes. This actually happens in real life and if you watch carefully through the scope, you can usually spot it at ranges of 200 meters or more and use it to track the bullet's flight path.

anyway, last time I went shooting we were firing hollowpoint .22lr's and it was amazing to watch the bizzare tragectories at extremely long range. once the bullet got past 180 meters it looked like it hit a brick wall and started spinning off course in all directions, sometimes even upward!
This contrasted greatly with the much heavier streamlined spitzer bullets of the 7.62 x 39 fired from an SKS. because of their much greater inittia, and streamlined shape, these maintained a stable and predictable trajectory well past 600meters.

(perhaps the firearms discussion should be moved to off topic so I don't feel guilty for hijacking the thread)

El-Kablooey
Antipspambot question: 0

re: How loud is a PressureJet?

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:16 am

dude, you should be careful shooting at puddles, the water may shoot straight up but I promise you that flying hunk of lead is bouncing right off and flying on forward at pretty much the same angle it was when it hit the puddle.. have seen a few drunken rednecks blow out their truck windows and such from hundreds of yards away like that, and thank god they were lucky enough to only hit $20,000 chunks of steel and not flesh and bone..