Plans for my axial Gluie 130R engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

roland2001
Antipspambot question: 125

Plans for my axial Gluie 130R engine

Post by roland2001 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:51 am

<t>I finally got a chance to draw my modified version of the Gluie 130R engine and provide all the specs for a complete engine build.
***Please note that increasing the diameters of the 2nd and 1 stages of this mostly scale 130R engine has NOT resulted in complete suppression of combustion gases at the 2rd/3rd junction, it has however achieved suppression of any active air/fuel burning outside of this region...as seen it the Conception GLC Gluie 130R L type video (above). Additionally, no "backfires" are found with this improvement ...and the 30° CC to TP cone allows for smooth throttling from laminar to pulsing combustion modes: no sudden jumps from one mode to the other.
These drawings are in .595964 scale assuming a combustion chamber ID of 8.92 inches....not 9".
It only would be a matter of multiplying (or dividinOhg) to make your engine larger or smaller.
***The diameters listed below are all inside diamters***!!!
Well, I guess we'll start at the Tailpipe. Tailpipe ID = 3.87" and is 11. 625" Long.br/>
The convergent cone connecting the CC to the TP is 1.875" in height/length and 3.87" ID on the small end and 4.87" ID on the large end. The included angle for the cone = ~ 30°.<br/>
The Combustion chamber is 9.9375" Long and has an ID of 4.87".<br/>
The Combustion chamber is capped off with a convex disk that has an included angle of ~ 164°. A flat cap can also be used.
This combustion chamber cap will have a concentric hole with a diameter equal to that of the base of the 3rd stage diffuser cone.<br/>
The included angle of the diffuser cone is ~ 7.5° to 8°.<br/>
***Chicago Rolled Metal Products has an excellent "cone" calculator and I use it often.<br/>
The throat of the diffuser cone....at its narrowest ID at the top = 2.286"....I would use a caliper!!!
The base of the cone = 2.6875" ID, with a Length/height of 2.875".
When forming the third stage I use two different dies.
One of the dies has the ~ 8° included angle.
The other die has an included angle of 60°....I use the 60° die to flare all three stages.
***Note, the length of the diffuser cone (excluding the flared aspect) is the full 2.875". The flare on top of the cone is the diameter and angle and method is of your choosin: (60° flare or radius)
This is not the case for the 1st and 2nd stage intake tubes who's lengths include their flared sections.
The second stage intake tube has an ID of a minimum of ~2.0" and a Length of 8.625".
The first stage ID = ~ 1.0" and is 2.875 inches in Length.
On to the coil:
12 full coils, 1/4" OD. Wall thickness for the coil can be .020" or 028".
The coils should be spaced to where they fill the bottom 3/4ers of the Combustion chamber.
The metering jet = .0595" ID and is approx. 0.6 inches long.
I make the metering from brass and press fit it into the union that I use to connect the fuel supply to the coil...soldering is recommend.
I use 5/16 304 SS round bar to fabricate the hot SS nozzle.
A 1/4" diameter milling bit with a 60° cut angle is used to drill out the top aspect of the nozzle, followed by a 0.120" diameter drill. The length of the 0.120 aspect of the nozzle should measure appprox. 1.2" in length. Tapering the nozzle is also important as more heat will be radiated away as it approaches the tip.
A # 53 drill bit is used for the metering jet and a # 31 drill bit is used for the "hot nozzle".
Since these are prtotype engines I use colled rolled steel tubes that can be found at SPD exhaust. There 16 GA tubes have a wall thickness of .063"...ergo, ID " 4.87" as opposed to ID 4.875". Their shipping is reasonable and they have a large selection of tubes that are of various diameters and wall thicknesses, and many of thier products are 304 and/or 321 stainless steel.
The drawings will reveal a number of details, however, if you have any questions re your build please feel free to contact me at: kylebear2000@hotmail.com , Kevin
***Details re scarfing of the end of the TP to follow. ...and
if you elect to build you engine out of stainless steel, 321, 304 and/or 347 can be used, 0.020" or 0.024" thickness.
Best regards, Kevin aka Roland2001
Attachments
20240221_184649~2.jpg

roland2001
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Plans for my axial Gluie 130R engine

Post by roland2001 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:58 am

Addendum to the above:
To start with I'd use a #54 0.055" drill bit for the metering jet...and a #32 0.116" drill bit for the hot nozzle.
This works out well because upsizing the jet and nozzle only requires upsizing to the drill bits noted above.
The SFC for this engine is ~ 1lb.fuel/1lb.thrust/hr....
and produces ~ 16 lbs of static thrust with a small augmentor attached.
Next work is to build a Stram engine with the same combustion volume. I'm interested to see if his combustion gas reflux damping "valve" will work. A sketch to follow.
Attached is a pic of the flame holder for the Stram engine.
Kevin
Attachments
20240131_102131~2.jpg

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Plans for my axial Gluie 130R engine

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:45 pm

Hi Kevin, love that Chicago rolled metal cone calculator. Nice utility.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.