Will a EDF be enough to push a Maggie Muggs near 100%?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Purki
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Will a EDF be enough to push a Maggie Muggs near 100%?

Post by Purki » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 am

I got some 50% alcohol today (best i could find)

I will mix it with gasoline at different ratios (by weight).

EG: (i will actually start it off with these two simple ones)
.7oz gasoline
.3oz alcohol

.7oz alcohol
.3oz gasoline

This should give me a VERY good idea where I stand, I just don't think alcohol alone is powerful enough and gas, for me, burns too dirty.
I will attempt to make a pressurized "gas tank" this weekend, basically fill it with gas (about half way or a quarter) and fill the rest with air at its maximum pressure, I will have a small valve at the bottom that I will be able to open slightly and the force of the compressed air will push the fuel out at a great speed. I will pressurize the tank (soda bottle) with a bicycle tire thingy.. (where you attach it to the pump), I have tried this before making little water rockets so I KNOW it will work... or at least I'm pretty confident. I might also be able to make this with a regulator using pressure pliers that will be clamped on the leading fuel hose. Turning the knob and loosening or tightening the pliers will determine how much fuel will go trough and for my first "pressurized tank" I think I will use a 1 liter bottle and fill it like 1/4 of the way (to have enough air to push it all out at good pressure) maybe later a 2 or even 3 liter bottle will come in handy for longer runs.

I hope this makes sense!!!

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Will a EDF be enough to push a Maggie Muggs near 100%?

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Purki -

Be very careful pressurizing flammable liquids in plastic bottles. I don't know how the plastic might be affected by exposure to the fuel. Note that for an engine like this, you should NOT need extremely high fuel pressure -- a few PSI above atmospheric should give you all you need. You also MUST have a "quick cutoff" valve for emergency stopping of the fuel flow after flameout (this is true of ANY pressurized fuel scheme). You will be in trouble any time you have airflow failure with continuing fuel flow !!!

SAFETY ... SAFETY ... SAFETY!

With pressurized liquids, you also need to test your fuel nozzle to make sure you're getting a very fine spray at the pressure you use. A spray that spreads in a broad cone is probably the thing to shoot for. This is not easy, unless you use a small commercial spray nozzle, such as one from those herbicide spray jugs you can get at garden shops (the nice ones with a fairly small brass nozzle).

L Cottrill